pink stain in pressure barrel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turt01

Reaction score
hi ive just got a 2nd hand pressure barrel of ebay however its got pink staining inside at the bottom,ive not come acrosss this before ive steralised it etc bicarb of soda/ white vinegar but the stains not lifting my question is will it still be ok to use or what will move it

cheersšŸŗ

The pink staining sounds like mold except, from my experience, it comes off with bleach water fairly easily. It could have set into the material possibly.
I would try a bleach water (1/3 C to 4 litres) and a little soap and then a good rinse.
I would need to see a photo to decide whether I would use it or not after all that's been done.

hi ive just got a 2nd hand pressure barrel of ebay however its got pink staining inside at the bottom,ive not come acrosss this before ive steralised it etc bicarb of soda/ white vinegar but the stains not lifting my question is will it still be ok to use or what will move it

cheersšŸŗ
Irrespective of any stains...
1. Pressure test your PB first to see if it holds pressure.
2. Then if it does, change all the seals and gaskets.
3. Then pressure test it again.
4. Then you can put beer into it if it's still leak tight.

Serratia marcescens. Do what Dave says - nuke it from orbit with bleach / oxiclean / flames!

The pink staining sounds like mold except, from my experience, it comes off with bleach water fairly easily. It could have set into the material possibly.
I would try a bleach water (1/3 C to 4 litres) and a little soap and then a good rinse.
I would need to see a photo to decide whether I would use it or not after all that's been done.

Attachments

• D461F8EB-06CE-49F9-AC9B-8155F1004505.jpeg
    D461F8EB-06CE-49F9-AC9B-8155F1004505.jpeg
    16.9 KB · Views: 93
@Turt01
Yeah, it looks like what I thought it did.
On the safe side, do that bleach mix with water and then some unscented, food-safe cleaner. You can even go 50/50. Being able to scrub it after it's been soaking for 15 minutes would be a bonus.

Thanks been struggling with stock at local hb shop hence forced into eBay.ive ordered all new gear now fingers crossed should be long arriving appreciate the offer šŸŗ

Lesson learnt tbh my local was showing as closed with no stock turns out they open with plenty so Iā€™m sorted now Ā£100 lateršŸ˜‚

Latest posts

Back