Pitching on Yeast Cake

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bingshoe

Reaction score
Hi all. Brewed a Patersbier with aim of pitching a Triple on it’s yeast cake but not sure of the actual proccedure for this.

Do I actually run the Triple’s wort into fermantation bucket that I’ve just decanted finished brew's cake (trub ring and all) or pour the Yeast Cake into clear fermentation Bucket with Triple or if there some other method to it?

Cheers

You can pitch on top of the existing cake, but you may have mixed results with little consistency. It is difficult to determine how many viable yeast cells you still have in suspension and whether or not a mutation in the strain has taken place.

Normally I runoff the top of the cake after primary, getting the middle of the harvest where the healthiest of cells will be. From there a starter is made and the yeast is put on a stir plate for 36 hours if I plan to pitch them with 2 days. If its a culture I wish to harvest and store then the cells are harvested and stored in slants until a starter will be made to rebuild that culture for pitching.

Latest posts

Back