What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's strange, do you normally mash the day before then boil the next
I've started doing it recently and never had a problem but I made a big mistake yesterday in cold sparging, leaving the whole wort at around 45-50⁰. You need hot sparge water if you're going to leave it sit overnight. Live and learn!

That’s quite a performance for a spontaneous fermentation? I guess it was pretty warm - what does it taste like?
I'd say it was sitting there at around 20-25⁰ after cooling down from 45⁰ overnight. To be honest I never even thought to tasted it, all I had in my head was to get it out of the brewzilla and get as much enzybrew into it as I could. I've boiled water in it 3 times since too - I've had a longer day than the actual boil would have took!

First crack at a west coast IPA sort of thing yesterday!

Attachments

• IMG-20240526-WA0011.jpeg
    IMG-20240526-WA0011.jpeg
    28.2 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240526_142810483.jpg
    PXL_20240526_142810483.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240526_142807392.jpg
    PXL_20240526_142807392.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 0
Another Citra Pale yesterday. Changed my mind last minute, was going to be a 11.5 litre all grain batch with a total of 50g hops but I decided to make a bigger batch and use up some leftover pale DME. So after the mash I added that to the boil and bumped up the hops to a whole packet of Citra. All seemed to go ok and it’s bubbling away nicely today.

1716799210424.jpeg

Yesterday was a 30 litre batch of a clone of Ampersand's Bidon - a 3.9% modern pale ale full of El Dorado & Citra.

This is the beer I bought a beer engine for as it's fantastic on cask so 10 litres will be split into 2 x mini kegs for that & the rest will go in a corny.

Brew day was smooth until a bloody great storm hit & in the ensuing chaos, I managed to get my 10 minute & whirlpool hop additions mixed up. Noticed straight away & stopped the boil & my OG was still fine & it didn't taste too bitter so crisis averted!

Also kegged my rhubarb & preserved lemon Berliners so once this Bidon is kegged I'm going to be well stocked with summer session beers!
IMG_20240526_113152211.jpg

IMG_20240526_150920699_HDR.jpg

Yesterday was a 30 litre batch of a clone of Ampersand's Bidon - a 3.9% modern pale ale full of El Dorado & Citra.

This is the beer I bought a beer engine for as it's fantastic on cask so 10 litres will be split into 2 x mini kegs for that & the rest will go in a corny.

Brew day was smooth until a bloody great storm hit & in the ensuing chaos, I managed to get my 10 minute & whirlpool hop additions mixed up. Noticed straight away & stopped the boil & my OG was still fine & it didn't taste too bitter so crisis averted!

Also kegged my rhubarb & preserved lemon Berliners so once this Bidon is kegged I'm going to be well stocked with summer session beers!
View attachment 99956
View attachment 99957

Looks a bit damp.

The thing in the pot is an immersion circulator/sous vide stick. If that's not what you mean lemme know.

Googled it. Fancy gadget. I'm assuming you use it to maintain mash temp ?

Interestingly (and the other way round) I spotted that Brewzillas can be used as sous vide devices. Never thought of that.

Googled it. Fancy gadget. I'm assuming you use it to maintain mash temp ?

Interestingly (and the other way round) I spotted that Brewzillas can be used as sous vide devices. Never thought of that.
Yeah bud. I work in really small volumes for now and it basically functions like an all in one.

I've started doing it recently and never had a problem but I made a big mistake yesterday in cold sparging, leaving the whole wort at around 45-50⁰. You need hot sparge water if you're going to leave it sit overnight. Live and learn!
Not so much the cold sparge but the pH. The boil lowers the pH further making it a little more undesirable for bacteria to take the opportunity to feast on the wort. Better to boil first sanitise the lid and the rim of the kettle and leave overnight, still not a 100% safe but a lot safer than leaving the wort overnight after mashing.

Set off a gallon of elderflower wine and a gallon of rose petal wine. Both should come out around 8%.
The yeast is old, so not sure it will work but hey a bit of foraging with the dog in order to collect means its not wasted.

Back