Pizza "brewer's yeast" for brewing?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wezzle

Reaction score
I've tried searching but maybe I'm just not finding the right terms but I've found this yeast for pizzas, that claims it's brewer's yeast made "from only the best fresh beer yeast"
PXL_20220202_093727857.jpg
Anyone found or used this stuff in beers before? I'm gonna attempt a simple SMaSH with it to trial but wondering if I've unlocked some secret cheat menu in the game of brewing.
It makes a very nice pizza dough though, and super bloody cheap for 500g.

When you can get a packet of yeast specific to whatever style you're brewing for around three quid it seems a bit of a waste of time.
Sure it will probably ferment, how much it will attenuate and what flavours it will produce is an unknown.
Might end up ruining a batch, but who knows - give it a go.
Once the bags opened though not sure how long it'd stay fresh, that's why yeast usually comes in small enough packets for one brew.

How much it attenuates and what flavours it produces is why I'm doing a cheap smash that I can base the outcome on. From what I've found its an Italian beer strain but no more info than that.

However I didn't just wildly buy it on the off chance I can brew for years with it.
It came as a substitute for my usual yeast for pizza dough. Still plenty of dough to be made so it's not going unused. Just surprised to see a massive 500g pack that said brewer's yeast.

I'll return with both beer and pizza crust flavour outcomes athumb..

How much it attenuates and what flavours it produces is why I'm doing a cheap smash that I can base the outcome on. From what I've found its an Italian beer strain but no more info than that.

However I didn't just wildly buy it on the off chance I can brew for years with it.
It came as a substitute for my usual yeast for pizza dough. Still plenty of dough to be made so it's not going unused. Just surprised to see a massive 500g pack that said brewer's yeast.

I'll return with both beer and pizza crust flavour outcomes athumb..
FWIW, bakers yeast attenuates pretty well. Like.... youl likely get close to 100% well.

Sure it will probably ferment, how much it will attenuate and what flavours it will produce is an unknown.

I am obviously not going to teach anyone here how to suck eggs but i always thought beer brewers frowned on the idea of using bakers yeast.

Can I substitute active baker's dry yeast for brewer's yeast?

I'd heard of beer a craft brewer made from yeast found on his hipster beard, so why not use bread yeast?

So I did some research, and it turns out you can use baking yeast as it is an 'active dry yeast'.

The real question is should you use bakers yeast to make beer?

Yeast is a wholly active part of the fermentation process, which is hugely relying on all kinds of factors to go right and a good yeast will make a good beer better.

Many craft brewers would probably shudder violently at the thought of using a yeast that's normally used to make bread but let's have a look at the idea.

You can totally use baking yeast for brewing, as both yeasts (beer and baking) are different strains of the same species, Saccharomyces cerevisiae.

Which sounds like a good starting place!

A good question to start with is, what is the difference between baker's yeast and brewer's yeast?

The difference between the two kinds of yeasts is their cultivation.

Each has been grown for the attributes they bring to the final product. In the case of beer yeast, the popular strains have been cultivated for hundreds of years to hone their specific attributes being the beer flavour produced, attenuation (how well the sugars are fermented by yeast), and consistency.

I found a great comparison of the two: brewer's yeast was bred to produce more alcohol and less carbon dioxide while baker's yeast was bred to make more CO2 and less alcohol.

So be warned using a baking yeast in place of brewing yeast is like driving a Ford and expecting to drive like a Ferrari!

https://www.howtohomebrewbeers.com/...=So be warned using a,to drive like a Ferrari!

I have an 11g pack of MJ 41 in the fridge and a ton of bread yeast. I would be more comfortable using the MJ for a pizza dough than using the bread yeast for a batch of beer.
I would try it though if just for the experience. Make a one gallon batch or something.

I would see this as an experiment - what might the beer that the builders of the pyramids have tasted like?
We can't really know, but what the hell, it's just an experiment and we know for sure that it did happen, so JFDI?
Just malted barley, bread yeast and other stuff as seen relevant.
Do reed tops have anything to bring?
Or just chuck in the hops you will never, ever get around to using?
One or two gallons of wierd beer?

I've brewed with bread yeast before, a Gotlandsdricka. Didn't attenuate very well, Didn't flocculate well. Decent banana esters. Bakers yeast strains have evolved to eat fairly simple sugars and create CO2, whilst it does create alcohol in wort I wouldn't recommend it other than for an experiment.

I've brewed with bread yeast before, a Gotlandsdricka. Didn't attenuate very well, Didn't flocculate well. Decent banana esters. Bakers yeast strains have evolved to eat fairly simple sugars and create CO2, whilst it does create alcohol in wort I wouldn't recommend it other than for an experiment.
Actually, I think that bakers yeast's are able to ferment starches. If you do not add sugar to your dough, it will still leaven it.

Yes, poor wording on my part. In the presence of flour, baker's yeast can ferment maltose, but relies on enzymes in the flour. I don't believe it's great at fermenting maltotriose even in presence of flour.

pizza comes out great 👌 cant say for beer as i'm waiting to do a proper brew day and i'll split the batch to make 5L with some hops that need using.
I got my last pizza stuff from eurostarfoods but there could be cheaper places?

I'd love to try the other way around and use beer yeast for bread. Maybe like a Brett sourdough.
I wouldn't use bread yeast for beer though, I heard it doesn't flocculate (and US05 is about 80p a pack)

I think there's a fermentation regime for bread yeast. In Historical Brewing Techniques by Garshol he talks of some farmhouse brewers using bread yeast and how they ferment with it, but I don't really remember what it was. Also something to consider is how it's kept. From lab to our brew, brewers yeast is kept very sterile, whereas I'm not sure if bread yeast is kept to the same cleanliness.

I got some white labelled stuff from Hopeye - now defunct :(
I think them / CML buy it it bulk and divide it up.

Its 1.40 in CML but you have to buy 20 packs!
2 items£2.15
3–4 items£1.93
5–9 items£1.77
10–19 items£1.60
20+ items£1.40

i always thought beer brewers frowned on the idea of using bakers yeast.

US brewers don't like the main US baking yeast, but that doesn't mean European brewers would say the same of European baking yeasts. I've used Allinson's for beer and it was fine.

two: brewer's yeast was bred to produce more alcohol and less carbon dioxide while baker's yeast was bred to make more CO2 and less alcohol.

The distinction between baking yeast and brewing yeast is a very recent one, that only dates to the mid-19th century when European brewers switched to lager yeasts that don't really work for bread. Before then you couldn't buy baking yeast - you either bought barm from your local brewer, or you brewed beer yourself as a way to "create" yeast that was "destroyed" by being put in a bread oven. Brewing and baking went hand in hand for millennia.

I'd love to do some genetic testing of stuff like Allinson's, I suspect it represents a strain that has only been independent of brewing strains for a few decades at most. The likes of Lallemand are primarily selling to bakers, their beer business is <10% of their yeast sales.

Latest posts

Back