Place your bets will it fit in my tun

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stigman

Landlord.
Reaction score
Brewing a barley wine today pushing the limits of my tun I think. 10.9kg in my 10us gallon cooler.
DSC_0992.JPG

Well the rackers.org calculator says that'll take up 9.1 US gallons if mashing at 2.5L/Kg so you should just about make it!

Recipe says 1105 but I think that's based on 75% efficiency, I always suffer with big bills so it's also getting 500g dark candi sugar :thumb1:

Gonna put it in sharer bottles?! That’s a heck of a grain bill, good luck with it.

Recipe says 1105 but I think that's based on 75% efficiency, I always suffer with big bills so it's also getting 500g dark candi sugar :thumb1:

Me too, I find knocking my efficiency down by 10% works when brewing high gravity beers. I have a barley wine fermenting away from last Sundays brew day, although wasn't brave enough for a 20L batch. I like Beersmith as it calculates the required mash tun volume.

1105, that's going to be a big one.

Are you planning on doing anything special to help fermentation along? Added nutrients or extra oxygen/aeration after fermentation has started?

Nice brew. Big beers always feel like something special. I've got a 1.116 RIS in the fv at the moment. BIAB was a work out.

I'd love to try a big beer but I'd be proper fecked on it....I might just do a one gallon job and bung it away for when father Christmas comes...

Well she's all wrapped up in my ferm fridge. Not far off on numbers but some changes needed
1st runnings 1.090
2nd runnings 1.060
Pre boil 1.102
og 1.102 a bit low and 21.5 litres into the fv.
DSC_0999.JPG
DSC_0998.JPG
DSC_0999.JPG
22 with starter Wort. Should have been 1.105 @23L.
I do a single batch sparge might try 2 next time and a litre more in total liquor
DSC_0998.JPG

Latest posts

Back