Planning AG#8 - Red ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisb2k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Having got some Late Red in that was on offer at S'bury's I've taken quite a shine to it, so looking to make something similar for the coming summer months.

It mentions EKG and Cascade on the label, and it tasted nice and hoppy, a bit like an APA I made a while back, so I've knocked this up to see what the oracles here on THBF think. I've gone for a 60 mins boil to hold back on the bittering, and maybe a little for convenience if I'm honest. I'm using Cascade for bittering and more Cascade and EKG at the end. I've also gone for Crystal and Roasted barley in a small amount for the red colouration, which I read somewhere.

Length 20.00 L
All Grain

Characteristics
Recipe Gravity 1.049 OG Estimated FG 1.012 FG
Recipe Bitterness 28 IBU Alcohol by Volume 4.7%
Recipe Color 14° SRM Alcohol by Weight 3.7%

Grains
Quantity Grain Type Use
0.25 kg Crystal 60L Grain Mashed
3.80 kg Maris Otter Malt Grain Mashed
0.09 kg Roasted barley Grain Mashed

Hops
Quantity Hop Type Time
20.00 g Cascade Whole 60 minutes
15.00 g Cascade Whole 30 minutes
15.00 g Kent Golding Whole 10 minutes
15.00 g Kent Golding Whole 0 minutes
20.00 g Cascade Whole 0 minutes

Yeast S-04

Mash 90 mins
Boil 60 mins

So all opinions/advice welcome!

Chris

EDIT: just thought, this may be in the wrong place. Please feel free to move to discussions or whatever.

The best red ale I've ever made had a wee bit black malt in it. Deepest red colour I've ever seen in a beer.

Then I did a wee Google and it's quite common to put a touch of black malt in a red ale. I'd try that.

K

kev said:
The best red ale I've ever made had a wee bit black malt in it. Deepest red colour I've ever seen in a beer.

Then I did a wee Google and it's quite common to put a touch of black malt in a red ale. I'd try that.

K

Cheers Kev will give that a go. Maybe I'll replace roasted barley with black malt ...

If it was me I'd replace all the roasted barley with black malt. I don't really like a roasted flavour in red/light ales.

K

This one's in the bag! Perfect day for brewing yesterday, plus imminent hose pipe ban will render brewing in the shed difficult for a while.

I went with suggestion by Kev and used black malt, to seemingly great effect. Full details of the day are on my blog but in summary:

Grains

0.25 kg Crystal 60L
3.80 kg Maris Otter Pale Malt
0.09 kg Roasted barley Black malt

23775f46.jpg

Hops

20.00 g Cascade 60 minutes
15.00 g Cascade 30 minutes
15.00 g East Kent Golding 10 minutes
15.00 g East Kent Golding 0 minutes
20.00 g Cascade 0 minutes

before and after :)
5a83a508.jpg
f63a5c77.jpg

Mash

90mins at 67'C - only lost a degree so not too bad

Sparge

19a506ca.jpg

nice colour during sparge!

ebf10aad.jpg

Boil

into the boiler ...

85b9dca3.jpg

boiler on ... oh sh!te :(

c561dc46.jpg

into the FV and back into boiler including hop filter! Hubble bubble etc. Looking for cold break at the end during chilling but never seem to get it :( 98'C to 25'C in about 35 minutes so maybe a little slow ?

b6cc688e.jpg

Yeast in at 22'C: I used a packet of Safale S-04. Working it's magic this morning

c4400fcd.jpg

Great brew day despite a short haetus to move the wort about. OG was 1048 - delightfully close to 1049 as predicted by QBrew

Looking forward to this one :)

Looks like it all went well! Nice colour too!

I think bottled Late Red is a different recipe to the cask recipe, tastes like a totally different beer.
I don't like the flavour of the bottled version but really like the cask!

Hope yours turns out how you like it! :drink:

Bottling this tomorrow so will have a sneaky QA ;)

I'm calling it "Rubilee", in honour of the jubilee and, it being ruby, and the beer being red, and there being a street party I will be carting some of these off to - it all falls in to place :D

:cheers:

This dropped down to 1005! 89% attenuation and now 5.8% as opposed to a light 4.7% :eek:

I knew S-04 were good but wasn't prepared for that... :lol:

not exactly a wasted batch but really not what I was aiming for. Any suggestions how/why this yeast went so nuts? Mash temp was 68'C dropping only a degree over 90 mins so I dont think it was that.

C.

Back