Plate chiller fittings help!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brightonnik

Reaction score
Hi chaps and chapesses. Just purchased the below second hand and I'm looking for a bit of advice on what will be the best way to hook it all up, I would prefer for it to be quick release if possible. Plumbing and related fittings are an area where I have zero knowledge!!

Thanks guys.

Attachments

• received_2371342569548696.jpeg
    received_2371342569548696.jpeg
    47.5 KB · Views: 76
Looking at the photograph, I would use:
  1. On the Water side, standard 12.5mm garden hose like this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BWN2IFS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
  2. On the Brew side Food Grade plastic hose like this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076BF2X5L/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
  3. Hozelock QC/DC connections throughout like these:
I use Hozelock connectors on the hose I use to make up the volume of wort before fermentation and also for the drain from my Boiler. I can't detect any off taste imparted to a brew from the momentary time that it is in contact with the Hozelock fittings; but that may be due to my shattered or non-existent taste-buds.

(*)
The ones indicated may replace the current bayonet connectors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have the model number? I can't make it out in the pics but it looks like the 4 ports are 1" BSP and the big adapters reduce down to 1/2" BSP. It would probably take quite a bit of searching to find 1" Hozelock fittings (ie, ones to fit straight onto the outlets) but 1/2" are very easy to find. Could easily be 3/4" as Dutto says, very hard to tell from the pic but if a regular garden hose pushes onto the brass fittings then I'd imagine they're 1/2" BSP.

EDIT: The shiny tube bit will unscrew from the big reducers and leave a male thread, likely either 1/2 or 3/4, in which case something like this will do either:
https://www.hozelock.com/our-produc...g/tap-connectors/34-12-outdoor-tap-connector/
But better off getting the model number and double checking the threads first just in case there's anything unusual about them.

TBH (being lazy and very inclined to economy) I would probably just slip a "food grade reinforced hose" on to the end of the bayonet fittings and not bother with any QC/DC fittings.

ALL of the QC/DC fittings can be a sources of contamination and/or off-tastes and they are NEVER easy to clean!

If you need or desire a secure fitting then four Jubilee Clips and a few seconds work will do the trick.

Cheers for the replies chaps. I messaged the person who I brought it off and asked how they had it set up.

They just put some food grade silicon tubing on the wort side and regular garden hose on the water side. So I'll order some 1/2" Silicon hose tubing and I'll be good to go. I guess I can secure with jubilee clips if I'm concerned that it will slip off.

Back