Plum and ginger wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickthebrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just got two gallons of this on - below is my recipe and method and hopefully some pics!! :)

PLUM AND GINGER WINE - 2 gallons.

3KG Plums
80grams fresh ginger
250 ml red grape concentrate
1.6kg sugar
Juice of one lemon
1 cup tea
3 tsp pectolase
2 tsp Yeast nutrient
2 tsp youngs wine yeast

First i chopped all the plums into quarters and removed the stones - i put them into a large pan with the finely
grated ginger and poured about 3 litres of boiling water over them, losely covered and left them for approx 24
hours - giving them a good stir from time to time.

Next day i strained the juice through some muslin cloth and added some cold water to the plums to rinse the
rest of the juice through. I then dissolved the sugar in about 1 litre of boiling water and allowed it to cool.
When cool i added it to the plum juice along with the red grape concentrate, tea, lemon juice, pectalose,
yeast and nutrient.

Put it into two DJ`s and put airlocks on - was bubbling within 30mins and by next morning going like mad!!

plum1.jpg

plum2.jpg

plum3.jpg

plum4.jpg

plum5.jpg

plum6.jpg

plum7.jpg

plum.jpg

the bottom pic should have been at the top!!

the hydro reading was 1080 @ 29 degrees which i recalculated to 1084 - which should give me around 12%

will update as it progresses!!

Looking really good! Glad to see that there's someone else on here from where the good pasties come from ;)

After a good week of fermenting it slowed and has stopped - took a reading of 0990 - this one really went for it!!

0990.jpg

Racked it off and a couple of days later is clearing nicely - its going to be a lovely clear red!!

1strack.jpg

That was really fast, and it looks beautiful. My ginger wine took a lot longer and is really slow a clearing - bit of a sullen old man, I think, but he's doing his job slowly enough. Probably going to be more for winter '10 than winter '09 though (started it off in May). Yours looks like a real winner and I can't imagine those plums going amiss!

it`s clearing really well - reckon it will be ready to bottle in a week or so -!!

leondz - what part of the southwest you from? i think your the first person south of brum that i have seen!!!!!!!

rickthebrew said:
leondz - what part of the southwest you from? i think your the first person south of brum that i have seen!!!!!!!

Stoke Hill ;) But I'm living in Sheffield for the mean time, some silly bugger here volunteered to pay me money! You?

racked of my plum and ginger today - really clear and very tasty! - light like a rose wine with a clean ginger finish - not to strong but very drinkable, would probably be good slightly chilled to - i`ve racked off and will leave for a good while before i bottle up!! :cheers:

2ndrack.jpg

wine making is great fun! - untill i sort out some AG kit (hopefully for next year!!) it`s a great way to experiment with flavours and stuff, all my blackberries were picked for free and i`ve just started an apple wine with a load of windfalls that i acquired - post to follow shortly with recipe etc! Also there`s an elderberry tree down the road with tons of fruit just about ready - its very cheap if you look around for free fruit!!

so when i have a load of cheap wine made i can start the journey to the dark side!!! :twisted:

I love ginger and i love plums.....but never have i considered having the two together!!

What does the ginger do to the taste of the wine? and is it really noticeable?

the ginger adds a real warmth to the wine - i only used 80grams to two gallons - plum by itself makes a great wine but i love to try out different flavour combinations - my rhubarb and orange
clicky click

got one brewing at the moment - when i bottle i`m gonna add some whole cardamon to the bottle!!

:cheers:

I made and bottled this about 14 months ago, and last night, we drank one of the bottles with an early-ish Xmas meal. I can honestly say that this is one nicest wines it has ever been my good fortune to drink. I was even more chuffed, given that I’d made it following the recipe above. The finished product came out at 12.3%, which is more than enough for us. The initial sensation was of a great deal of fruitiness, and as it went down the gullet, you could feel a gentle warmth from the ginger. I’ll definitely be making this again.

Back