Plum Porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davemarr

Reaction score
Has anyone tried brewing a plum porter using plum jam instead of actual fruit?

Strangely enough, yes. We were given some home made jam by a family friend, but nobody eats jam in our house, so I was going to do an all grain porter and pour in in at 5 mins before flame out to sanitise it.

If you do try jam, make sure to remember that it is literally FULL of pectin (it's kinda how you make jam...), so you'll need to use pectolase too. I did actually come across a clone recipe for poachers choice where they used damson jam rather than damsons, so a similar concept. Also keep in mind the higher sugar content of jam compared to fruit.

I'm actually brewing a plum porter next, however I'm going the route of Titanic and using plum flavouring at bottling time, rather than fruit or jam. No faffing around that way. Grain bill is based around one I found that claimed to be from the actual Titanic one, but tweaked to my own tastes a bit. My goal isn't so much to clone Titanic plum porter, as to produce my own plum porter that's nice too. athumb.. If there is one thing I have learned, it's that sticking to closely to clones or ready built recipes usually leads to disappointment as they're brewed to somebody else's preferences.

As to home made jam having a bit of "fir" on top. Odds are it wasn't pasteurised or anything, and got inoculated with mould spores at some point. Sugars crystallise and settle over time, so the surface concentration perhaps drops, and you get a suitable growth environment. Just guessing.

I tested the flavour essence tonight on a bottle of porter I bought, just to see what sort of flavour it gave. A flippin horrible one was the answer, not at all plum flavoured, tasted more like some sort of fruit chewing gum! Smelt like the kind of stuff people vape with.... So that isn't happening.

Guess I might actually have to try jam too, and just use pecolase. Just as well I have a bottle really. The recipe I have that uses damson has it getting boiled in a bit of water, and put in secondary though, otherwise the flavour just gets blown out of the airlock during primary.

Once again, my plum porter brew day will have to go on hold whilst I work it out....

Back