Point me in the right direction please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SIRUSKEY

Reaction score
Hi all

New to all this business and need some advice. Im going to start with a basic kit as I have no experience at all.

Can someone recommend me:
1/ A stout
2/ A larger
3/ An ale.
4/ An equipment set ( I have nothing)

Couple of questions:

A/ will the fermentation put gas into my larger or do I add that after?
B/ if I get a bottling kit how long can I keep it for?

Thanks in advance
Craig

your probably better off starting with something easy like an ale of some kind i could send you a recepie if your interested or there are loads on here. As for equipment if your going to start brewing with kits you would need a 5 gallon fermenting bucket,thermometer,hydrometer some syphon tube steriliser and some bottles. The kits are straight forward just follow instructions. You will pick up the hobby easily as there are lots of people on here with excellent advice :D

As Mark says for the basic equipment (bucket, hydrometer, syphon tube, etc.), or you may wish to buy a complete ‘starter’ set such as the Young's boxes.

Cooper's or EDME are good for the ‘budget’ kits (one can kits which require a kilo of sugar) or the Woodeforde's ‘premium’ kits are popular (two cans, nothing else required).

Please note:
Lager - a type of beer (from the German verb lagen, to leave or to store).
Larger - of greater magnitude. ;)

A secondary bottle or keg fermentation gives your beer its fizz.
Bottled beers can keep a very long time, some of mine are still excellent after 18 months.

I started off with THIS and it made a very drinkable pint off beer. You will then have the basics for future brews such as THIS which is a tried and tested kit by many members on this forum (myself included) and after that you will be so addicted you will want to brew your own beer from scratch and go for an AG set up like THIS. Good luck and be patient good beer is worth the wait ;)

Right pay day tomorrow. Im going buy one of those kits, I have just remembered I have my granddads old wine making kit in the loft. Couple of DJ’s warming plate etc. Should come in useful. :thumb:

Regards
Craig

[quote="Moley"
Please note:
Lager - a type of beer (from the German verb lagen, to leave or to store).
Larger - of greater magnitude. ;)

[/quote]

:oops:

Thrifty shopper is safe and very reliable (in my experience).

It also offers free postage with orders over £40.

Its worth getting a few brews worth in bulk!!!

Cheers

Dave

Sussex Hopburner said:
Thrifty shopper is safe and very reliable (in my experience).

It also offers free postage with orders over £40.

Its worth getting a few brews worth in bulk!!!

Cheers

Dave

The kit is £45 itself. I think it will do for the time being!

Sussex Hopburner said:
Its fine if you have a homebrew shop local (or a Wilkinsons) otherwise buying in bulk makes sense!!!

Im not a million miles from a Wilkinsons. What do they stock?

To be honest the begginers kit form the thrifty above is very good money.

Wilkos are very reasonable too, but I think all that for 45 quid is going to be hard to beat.

UP

NO! They will explode.

You need glass beer/cider bottles or plastic fizzy drinks bottles.

Moley said:
NO! They will explode.

You need glass beer/cider bottles or plastic fizzy drinks bottles.

God Dam :rofl: !!!! I have been saving my wine bottles. :x

Can I use old beer bottle like a becks and re-cap them?? :wha:

Are plastic drinks bottles not single use???? :hmm:

Try a Tom Caxton Real Ale Kit, Simple as can be to brew and tastes fantastic even after about 3 weeks! Also Munton Gold Smugglers Ale although it takes around 6 wweks before you can get the best from it... whatever ever brew you do make sure you leave it in the fermenter for at least 10 days, the instructions always say 4 - 6 days nut you really need to leave it dermenting for 10 days minimum! I have learned this form the forum and all my brews since have been much better than my early ones :cheers:

SIRUSKEY said:
God Dam :rofl: !!!! I have been saving my wine bottles. :x
Well make some wine too :drunk:
SIRUSKEY said:
Can I use old beer bottle like a becks and re-cap them?? :wha:
Yes, you can buy crown caps and a capping tool from Wilko or any HBS. :thumb:
SIRUSKEY said:
Are plastic drinks bottles not single use???? :hmm:
No, they can be re-used, I always use a couple of 500/600ml Pepsi bottles as carbonation pressure testers, and have also used 1 litre ‘mixer’ bottles. Some people use 2 litre PETs.

Latest posts

Back