polypin conditioning

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob3000

Reaction score
I'm trying to condition my beers in a 10l plastic water carrier. On my first attempt i didn't manage to get any carbonation, my second try was more successful and the beer stayed in nice condition. This time however, the beer seems to go flat the minute i put it in the fridge. I have made sure it is well primed and waited a couple of days for it to get nicely carbed up. Then i put it in the fridge and all the carbonation seems to disappear. I then took it out again and primed again waited for the container to balloon out and carb up and same thing happened once i put it in the fridge.

i know cask ale is supposed to be low on carbonation but I don't want to drink flat beer.

cold beer absorbs more CO2 than warm, so when you cool it in the fridge 2 things happen that make you lose pressure:
1. the beer absorbs more of the gas
2. there'll be a little bit of thermal contraction as well

Ok. How do i make sure I still have some carbonation in my Polypin? Do I just have to let it balloon out until it's really tight?

if you intend to cool you could up the priming sugar in future, there's calculators online for co2 volumes taking into account temperature and residual co2. full carbonation takes a month in the warm too so it could be a matter of patience.

Are there any tips from people who do this on how to get beer cool and in good condition?

Polypins dont really lend themselves to much carbonation , you would be doing very well to get anything fizzy out of them . Some life to a real ale , yes . Also the temp thing has been explained , thats a big factor .

I havent used polypins in many years , I used to be very keen on them but since getting back into brewing I havent been able to come by them like I used to . It used to be that one could be given empties from off licenses with good semi rigid liners but now proper off licenses are a rare thing . That and "food safety" regs that , I am told , discourage shops from selling the various drinks one used to see on draft . Now , the polypins I have seen on sale have thin polythene bag liners and cost nearly £20 , the price of a basic plastic keg . I would love to find out where to come by the sort I used to have at a decent price , they were a really flexible bit of kit . But fizzy ? No . Well , not for me , that is . :(

I wasn't after "Fizzy", just good condition. The same you would find in a good cask of real ale. Mine at the moment it dead flat. You really notice it if it is flat.

I've taken my polypin out of the fridge so with the aim of it warming up and getting a little more carbed. Once it is fairly hard to touch I'll stick it back in.

Also, i have been saying "polypin" but I am actually using a water container or cubetainer i got from a camping shop for 5 quid. Correct me if I am wrong but i thought they where pretty much the same thing.

I have been experimenting with polypins, Shock, got mine
From here ;)
Seem quite thick to me, have a couple of 5s and a 10 ready for Christmas. :D
I did a 5 last brew and it worked out very well, cleaned out and back in use now, lot easier than messing about with 10 bottles. ;)
Did have a bit of a disaster filling the 10, it was sitting on a stool being filled from the fermenter and it "sort of wobbled over", beer everywhere :oops: , I caught it, but a lot of beer escaped, my fault just need to be more carefully. Not easy catching a wobbly bag of beer. :lol: Lots of mopping before Mrs. S. got home, didn't want to be in the dog house again ;)
S

dennisking said:
This is a thread I started over on Jim's, hope that's OK with the mods, its a bit disjointed now as a member got a bit disgruntled and stormed off and took his posts with him. May help

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/view ... =6&t=11340
Thanks for that link Den. lots of info will have a proper read later, don't think mods will mind, its all power to the forums.
S

Bob , my apologies for misunderstanding you , I hope your worries can be settled on the other thread , my friend :thumb:

Springer - thank you ! Thats a good link and the prices are much more reasonable . How is the quality of the liners ? Are they the old semi rigid type with the diagonal seam that would stand up without the box outer ?

Dennis , thanks for linking to that other thread , lots of good info :thumb:

Pictures worth a thousand words, Shock. Lined up on the worktop, nice to keep playing with, ready for transporting at Christmas. ;) Think the pic tells it all, my spillage cock up was down to me, they are quite rigid once full or expanded out. ;)
One of the 5s here is one I bought several years ago for wine, it looks identical to the other from Murphy's. :D

6525188885_53998d8bbc_b.jpg

These are the boxes that they go in, I quite like the 10 box. :D
6525189525_3f8b491d4f_b.jpg

S

Cushty-mushty ! Thems the kiddies ! Proper job ! etc etc :thumb:

Thanks for doing that Springs , they look just like the old ones , I shall have to grab some in the new year - for doing real ales , especially short length , they take some beating . What are the postage costs from Murphys like , please mate ? They dont really explain in "Terms&Cons" ....at least , not to my (limited) understanding :wha:

shocker said:
What are the postage costs from Murphys like , please mate ? T

Don't know, I get my bags of malt and other stuff from them, so its worth collection being 20 miles away. Give them a ring and ask for homebrew shop or email. ;)
S

shocker said:
Cheers Springs :cheers:
Poly pins coming on nicely, just had a little nibble at them. :D
They are going to be in use here, big time, I'm thinking. ;)
S

I am thinking of getting some polypins for dispensing from my handpul. May have to after this thread!

Darcey said:
I am thinking of getting some polypins for dispensing from my handpul. May have to after this thread!

I have found a handpump and polypin the perfect combination. It gives me beer in the perfect condition for me. The last 2 or 3 pints are sometimes a bit flat but I can live with that.

Well I was going to cask originally but the casks are too expensive to buy and I pollypin will fit snug in one of my fermenting fridges so I can condition and dispense with out lugging it around.

Why do people feel the need to 'vent' the pins surly less priming sugar and longer conditioning is a better idea?

D

Latest posts

Back