Polytunnel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi @Clint I see you bought a polytunnel from first tunnels, just wondered how it takes the weather? I'm in quite an exposed spot here in Cornwall and we get a fair bit of wind, i bought a cheapo from Amazon which lasted 3 months and have been reluctant to get another one, but would like one!

Mine was dug in with an anchor plate on the end of every upright,stretching the cover on,really tight is key to making it weatherproof. I done it myself...with a little help! It's been up three years..my only problem are birds pecking holes in it!

Mine was dug in with an anchor plate on the end of every upright,stretching the cover on,really tight is key to making it weatherproof. I done it myself...with a little help! It's been up three years..my only problem are birds pecking holes in it!
Can you not put a net over it Clint or is that not legal to protect the birds

Thats good going, I think i'd have to get one with the anchor plate and the braces running across and parallel which bumps up the price a bit.

The birds only peck at flies they can see up at the ridge..it's obviously warmer in there so the bugs wake up early...the birds are hungry so try to get them. I just get a roll of repair tape and patch it.

That's a problem I have never heard about, and annoying. If it is just on the ridge would a white plastic strip work? say about 2ft wide so birds can't see the flies? Or traditional sticky flypapers. Those spiders need to grow up fast.

The birds only peck at flies they can see up at the ridge..it's obviously warmer in there so the bugs wake up early...the birds are hungry so try to get them. I just get a roll of repair tape and patch it.
I have seen those you tube videos of a Lancashire guy who grows a lot of show vegetables patching up his polytunnel. Those Magpies I feed have drawn blood when I feed them by hand unbelievable how sharp the end of their beak is, not only that the grip of the beak is almost equivalent to a Snapping turtle.

Yeah I've thought about putting a cover on the ridge so they can't see them but initially was going to look at the outside...but it's too high and too risky. Inside might work...as would some fly paper...good idea!

I have seen those you tube videos of a Lancashire guy who grows a lot of show vegetables patching up his polytunnel. Those Magpies I feed have drawn blood when I feed them by hand unbelievable how sharp the end of their beak is, not only that the grip of the beak is almost equivalent to a Snapping turtle.

I love Corvids but Im not sure I'd fancy feeding one by hand after seeing them pecking away with that dagger like beak at things like dead squirrels

Followed the link and thought I would find some polycarbonate twinwall to see price etc. Looked on website of a little company, couldn't see any info on bends it would take but had a pop up of ask us a question, so I tried. a minute later a lady said she basically had no idea, so I thanked her and said I expect she was working from home - which she was, but it was the speed of reply and that she was working from home that amazed me - and proves it works.

Today Mrs Clint finished digging over the new plot while I was in bed resting off night shift ..
She returned home for a bite to eat at dinner time and we both went back...I planted out a load of cabbages and netted them all up.

Last of the summer wine moment, had the final 3 tomatoes yesterday have taken most of the withering plants out of the hydroponic tunnel beans didn't re flower cucumbers still flowering but doubt I would've got anymore found 2 cucumbers in the foliage. Clean everything out tomorrow and plant cabbages and Romanesco.
002.JPG
003.JPG

Only a couple more months and it all starts again, sowing the summer vegies.

Today...
Just a few small jobs...planted out and netted broccoli,took peas and beans to allotment,Mrs done some weeding.
Later...sow more beetroot,lettuce and peppers.

Today Mrs Clint finished digging over the new plot while I was in bed resting off night shift ..
As long as she wasn't measuring you up with a tape measure first. :laugh8:

Planted out my Red Robin Tomatoes too under fleece. They are dwarf type so I may get some fruit. Beans in paper pots hardening off, and trying to get the irrigation system working again, so things don't die off.
Lost all my early marigolds. Not a sign of any of them. Good job they start quick. Second batch under lights and are all up in 2 days.

Back