Polytunnel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those look great!
A few years ago I decided to grow comfrey to use as a fertiliser.

I planted it on quite a large part that was unusable due to mares tails. It’s worked out very well all round.

Those look great!
A few years ago I decided to grow comfrey to use as a fertiliser.

I planted it on quite a large part that was unusable due to mares tails. It’s worked out very well all round.
I grow that too, put it into the compost. Apparently it is to do with the root system they go down deep and draw up minerals. Have to be careful handling it though, a bit like parsnips can cause a rash on sensitive skin. Does have a pleasant smell about it too.

It does cause a rash, that’s true. Yes, the roots can go down a long way, pulling up minerals. It turns out to be the perfect NPK, from the tea that is.
I’m getting enough liquid now to get me through in the pollytunnel.

From paddock to plate. Beginnings of a Cauliflower Cheese.

002.JPG

I love learning about the life of plants, not much difference to us when it comes to survival. One of my hobbies is hydroponics and watching how plants react convinces me that there is something, not a brain but the will to survive.
A photo of the roots of a lettuce actually taking over the valve where the nutrient comes in.

002.JPG

I often think about this, the way plants are categorised in terms of whether they are living or able to feel.
Plants grow, reproduce, react the the environment and need food and water.

So yes, very similar indeed.

It must play on the minds of vegan people and the like.

I often think about this, the way plants are categorised in terms of whether they are living or able to feel.
Plants grow, reproduce, react the the environment and need food and water.

So yes, very similar indeed.

It must play on the minds of vegan people and the like.
I agree, plants don't want to be eaten either. There is a good doco on you tube The intelligence of plants.

A busy day in the garden today. Both poly-tunnels looking good, two more cauli to harvest and I will be planting another dozen tomatoes, Giving the corn a miss this year the return doesn't warrant it will give it another go next year.

001.JPG

Overcome the problem i have had in the past with the first four plants out growing the last 4 where the nutrient comes in. A valve costs about $25 I have reworked some cheap valves I had, cost about 40 cents and really happy the tomatoes are growing in the channel neck and neck.

004.JPG

Today's harvest going to go with tonight's dinner of roast lamb, not all but some.

005.JPG

Tomatoes in ground grew 10 centimeters overnight already started picking out side shoots and flowers forming. Hope this rain keeps up going away on Friday.

006.JPG

More peas than I can poke the proverbial stick at, some will go with tonight's dinner.

010.JPG

A dozen Money Maker tomatoes planted today, more because they were old seeds and I like the name.

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 0
Looks fantastic!
So the tomatoes in the first Photo, are they growing hydroponically?

Really been fancying trying that out the last few years. Looks complicated, and I don’t have power to the pollytunnel.
Great job throughout though !

Spot on that lot Foxy! My tunnel is ready to be put to bed for the winter. The last of the tomatoes will be pulled out and chillies picked and frozen. I still have the physallis which is fruiting. I will then give the beds a topping of compost and chicken manure pellets. It won't be left completely empty as we're going to plant lettuce and some carrots in there. Outside we have lots of cabbages and sprouts and a few pumpkins. When some of the pumpkins come off we'll plant the winter onions and garlic.

Looks fantastic!
So the tomatoes in the first Photo, are they growing hydroponically?

Really been fancying trying that out the last few years. Looks complicated, and I don’t have power to the pollytunnel.
Great job throughout though !
Yes the first photo is the hydro tomatoes. The diaphragm pump is powerful so power doesn't have to be that close. It is easy to get into even just using down pipe and gravity feed.
Spot on that lot Foxy! My tunnel is ready to be put to bed for the winter. The last of the tomatoes will be pulled out and chillies picked and frozen. I still have the physallis which is fruiting. I will then give the beds a topping of compost and chicken manure pellets. It won't be left completely empty as we're going to plant lettuce and some carrots in there. Outside we have lots of cabbages and sprouts and a few pumpkins. When some of the pumpkins come off we'll plant the winter onions and garlic.
I may have mentioned it before but it may be worth a try. Cover the tomatoes with wood and sacks over winter after cutting them back to ground level. They are perennials after all.

They are perennials, I’ve often thought of that too. Might just try it for half of them this year, see if they get through and what if any effect in the yield next year is.

Can you put me onto a video/book/article that would get me started on the setup you have with those tomatoes please.
My pollytunnel is not by my house, but I think I could run a pump with a battery and solar.

Back