Polytunnel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last of my spuds. 🙁 Every time I dig spuds I think of those who missed out on them before Walt introduced them to the western world. Yes they had Swede, or turnip which is very nice but the spud was the game changer. Tomatoes lagging behind with the colder weather than is usual due to the La Nina. Hopefully that is behind us now.
005.JPG
002.JPG
004.JPG

Still the same with tomato ripening, this must be the coldest summer I have known. All I have had is about 1/2 kilo of Cherry and mid size. I have about 68 tomato plants in so harvest is abysmal.
002.JPG

That’s a shame Foxy, we grow lots of tomatoes, like you. Jarring up about 90 or so and eating the rest while they keep growing.
With a few days of warm weather they will ripen. A fair chance we will be in a El Nino system next year, not keen on them but better than the devastating floods we have had in Australia. Just wish we could be somewhere in between El Nino and La Nina

With a few days of warm weather they will ripen. A fair chance we will be in a El Nino system next year, not keen on them but better than the devastating floods we have had in Australia. Just wish we could be somewhere in between El Nino and La Nina
we have no nino and nina but still have Gertrude and Ethel complaining about the jet stream clapaacheers.

About to go off at a tangent here! Cleaning the inside of my coated aluminium greenhouse ready for spring. In the gap at the bottom of the window panes a rather unpleasant brown/green sludge has collected. I have managed to clean most of this away but is there any benefit or harm in spraying the gap then with none rinse sanitizer?

I use a product to take the green off the inside and outside of my pollytunnel. Totally harmless but first class. Has the Royal warrant.
Great for the polycarbonate off over the decking too.

Checking things out what has emerged from where I have laid compost from my compost bin. Tomatoes they grow like weeds have to pull them out, but here are a few other other things that have emerged from the compost.
Water melons! Not only here but in other parts of the garden. Lots of melons on them too
IMG_6029.JPG

An Almond tree!
IMG_6028.JPG

An Avocado and a capsicum!
IMG_6025.JPG

Capsicum and chili
IMG_6026.JPG

Not from the compost but have a few of these hanging around. Grandma Trombone the fore runner of the Butternut.
IMG_6030.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6027.JPG
    IMG_6027.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Any exotic tobacco?
No not this year, I don't indulge, neither does my wife after thinking she was immune to THC and found herself crawling around the lounge room mooing like a cow after a tiny taste of my cannabis oil. Beer is my drug of choice rarely get a headache, except for when my wife counts the dead soldiers. Funny though tobacco carries a stiffer sentence than growing Mary Jane.

No..but I once accidentally planted some "fishing seed" .
A friend of mine boiled some hemp for fishing put it on the garage floor to cool, came home from fishing his two dogs had eaten all the hemp. There was **** every where, well later it didn't come out like ****. They had been ******** the pure hemp seed back out. He was scooping it up in his hands saying smell this, this is still alright.

Ending of the summer veg time to start planting the winter crops in seed trays going to grow Jap pumpkins next season or Butternut. Got a couple of trombone off today and egg plants still eating zucchini and marrow plus lots of tomatoes still to ripen.
Went away for a week so made sauce with this lot.
IMG_6064.JPG
Came back and got another 5kg
IMG_6119.JPG
Grandma Trombone
IMG_6120.JPG
Egg Plants, not sure what to do with these as yet I will make some Little Shoes with some probably roast and bottle the rest.
BMST0428.JPG

I am just starting my tom seeds for the coming UK summer. Last year I planted over 100 various tomatoes and I am under strict instructions not to do that again. 😱

Also bought some tap timers for the dribbly hose, that really made a difference to the crops last year.

Would love to be able to grow lemons. Well done.

Latest posts

Back