priming again !

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neal

Reaction score
was hoping to bottle up an ipa I have dry hopping in a secondary tomorrow, but I've just realised I've only 2 buckets and both have brews in them, so I'll have to add sugar straight to the bottles, I am being a real lazy git by asking you lot instead of looking for the answer myself :lol: going to be using a mixture of 750,660 & a couple of 500ml bottles (don't ask!) want it nicely carbed too, so how much am I looking to add to each bottle ?

Between half a teaspoon and a flat level kinda one. Per bottle depending on size.

I normally go for a very weak looking flat teaspoon if I don't batch prime. That's for 500ml bottles

Why not batch-prime into the secondary, stir & leave it a day to even out, then bottle from there?
I never use a separate bottling bucket

thanks chaps, I thought about priming the secondary but was a little wary of clouding it up, I would prefer to batch prime as opposed to each bottle :thumb:

I've also boiled up a priming batch, then weighed it and divided it up by 100 ml. That will give you how many ml to use per 100 ml of beer. I have these 50 ml syringes and I would use that to prime the bottles.

Between half a teaspoon and a flat level kinda one. Per bottle depending on size.

I normally go for a very weak looking flat teaspoon if I don't batch prime. That's for 500ml bottles

This is the crucial bit! I discovered that the 3/4 of the "teaspoon" I thought I was using was actually 6.5g, and I ended up with a bottle bomb and 2 batches of gushers. About 3-3.5g per 500ml bottle for an American style ale according to my Brewers Friend App, which is about 3/4 of a "proper" teaspoon.

+1 for batch priming in the secondary

Boil about 400ml of water (for a 20l batch), needs to be enough to dissolve the sugar and not turn to syrup when it cools, but not so much that you significantly dilute the beer. Add the sugar, bring to boil, allow to cool a bit whilst faffing with bottles etc.

Pour into the ferment-er and give it alight stir with the syphon tube. It'll pick up some yeast, but never enough to bother me, I use one of those auto-syphons which have a cap on the end so when put in the bottom of the FV it draws liquid down from above so usual put it right to the bottom of the FV anyway and disturb some yeast.

thanks all, I primed it this morning with 110g of sugar dissolved in some of the drawn off beer and gently added it back in, couple of gentle stirs and lid on! will bottle it tonight & that'll be different from my usual routine as well, I plan on using mostly ex Bier de garde bottles, but as I haven't got a corker I will use some plastic champagne stoppers and cages, any of you used these before ? they do seem a good tight fit in the bottle neck, just got to cross my fingers and hope I don't have 17Ltrs of flat beer in a couple of months !!

I usually do 105g / 23 litres and batch prime, it's always worked out well in the past. I've only ever bottle primed with sugar once, and it was hugely inconsistent.

Carbonation drops work well but take a while and are expensive (compared to batch priming with 10p worth of sugar)

Its the big question "Is that a big 1/4 tsp or a small !/4 tsp ?".
I think we need to "standardize" the weight/volume.
If we all use the same measuring instrument it would solve at least one problem.
Im thinking "Parisian Ball" cutters available from Nisbitts.
Just a thought

Latest posts

Back