Probably a daft question (BIAB)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skulltat280

Regular.
Reaction score
I brewed my 1st all grain BIAB on Saturday

I noticed a load of tiny bits came out off the bag when I squeezed it. All this crud will surely be at the bottom now

Will it have trapped any yeast? Should I gently stir it?

I know airlocks aren't reliable. 1 or 2 days it went crazy but dead for a couple of days now

Ha! Thank god you haven't seen any of my beers. One set of demijohn brews I did recently meant I only got 3.6 litres out of it and the rest was trub.

And yes, first brewday is like a first date - you're thinking all kinds of thousand miles per hour nonsense in your head and might end up with decision paralysis. It's amazing how much you relax into it and stop caring so much about things like efficiency and slight drops in mash temp and liver damage... It all usually turns out ok.

Ha! Thank god you haven't seen any of my beers. One set of demijohn brews I did recently meant I only got 3.6 litres out of it and the rest was trub.

And yes, first brewday is like a first date - you're thinking all kinds of thousand miles per hour nonsense in your head and might end up with decision paralysis. It's amazing how much you relax into it and stop caring so much about things like efficiency and slight drops in mash temp and liver damage... It all usually turns out ok.
:laugh8:

That reminds me, I meant to ask about mash temp too lol. I used my Inkbird to control it but depending on where the probe was I got wild swings (too high)

I've read a too hot a mash causes the beer to be sweet. If it turns out sweet is there anything to do to help unsweeten it?

Unless you're somehow circulating the mash normal inkbird controllers and even PIDs do pretty badly. The closest I've got to using a PID was having it set to manual at 3% after tweaking, and that's only for a gallon.

Well I've never done it but some people use enzymes to gobble up the extra sugars. I'm slightly interested in it because of the Brut IPAs that are a thing, and Dogfishhead's new diet IPA using a similar method.

Cheers mate

Is everyone the same with their 1st brew, all sorts of things going through the head wondering if it's OK :laugh8:

I’m about 8 AG’s I’m using BIAB and I still worry each time about something that happens !!

Just keep asking on here you will be fine - there are some fine supportive people on here !

Unless you're somehow circulating the mash normal inkbird controllers and even PIDs do pretty badly. The closest I've got to using a PID was having it set to manual at 3% after tweaking, and that's only for a gallon.

Well I've never done it but some people use enzymes to gobble up the extra sugars. I'm slightly interested in it because of the Brut IPAs that are a thing, and Dogfishhead's new diet IPA using a similar method.
Yeah I think that's the last time I use the PID for the mash. I'll insulate the boiler and just use the handheld digital thermometer with 4 or 5 degrees above target strike temperature in future. Seems way less hassle and probably more consistent, even if the temp reading isn't 100% true at least the element won't be switching on when not needed

:laugh8:

That reminds me, I meant to ask about mash temp too lol. I used my Inkbird to control it but depending on where the probe was I got wild swings (too high)

I've read a too hot a mash causes the beer to be sweet. If it turns out sweet is there anything to do to help unsweeten it?
Good question - I recently brewed a bitter mashed at 70degC. It still needs another week or two before it's ready to drink so I can't answer your question yet.

For sure the FG was quite high at 1.020. I think this is a function of there being less fermentable sugars. The subject certainly prompted some debate. One suggestion here was that these less fermentable sugars don't actually taste sweet - give me a week or two and I'll let you know athumb..

Good question - I recently brewed a bitter mashed at 70degC. It still needs another week or two before it's ready to drink so I can't answer your question yet.

For sure the FG was quite high at 1.020. I think this is a function of there being less fermentable sugars. The subject certainly prompted some debate. One suggestion here was that these less fermentable sugars don't actually taste sweet - give me a week or two and I'll let you know athumb..
Hopefully not mate, hope it finishes well for you

The real killer on your first brew is waiting the 4-6 weeks before you can drink it! Good luck - it'll be worth it!
And a few years later you learn about wheat beers and find out even with natural carbonation you can be drinking them in 12 days and shout "Why did nobody tell me!"

Latest posts

Back