Pseudo Lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MmmBeer

Brew Pub Brewer
Reaction score
This weekend's weather has prompted me to attempt making a batch of lager for the summer. the problem is that my brewfridge would not be capable of maintaining 3-4°C at this time of year and my domestic fridge is far too small to fit 40 bottles in (and still allow room for some food).

Greg Hughes' book lists a few styles; Kolsh, Cali Common, Cream Ale etc. that can be conditioned at 12°C, but not having tried these styles, I' not sure which path to follow. I normally drink real ales or IPA's, but do enjoy a cold clean lager in the warm weather or with a hot curry. Could anyone give any recommendations (among these or otherwise), that fit the bill and would satisfy lager drinking friends and family?

The issue with my brewfridge is that is not man enough to get that cold, I know from experience.of trying a pilsner kit last year.

P_20180302_160032.jpg

+1 for Kolsh from aamcle.

-Quick edit to correct predictive text errors.

Might pop out to local M&S this afternoon to peruse their extensive beer section and try a couple of bottles.

How cold does it get? Mine will only go down to about 6C and lager will happily condition - which really just means drop clear - at that temperature.

For serving I take as many as I need from the fridge and put them in a coolbox with frozen gel packs for an hour or so to get them down that last few degrees.

The fridge was working almost flat out to maintain 12°C last year. I can chill a few bottles for drinking in my domestic fridge, but not a whole batch.

I make a pseudo lager that (I think) tastes great, at least as good as some of the pils fromsome of the micro's (which I what I wast trying to emulate, in particular Four Pure Pils, which is delicious) I've had in any number of craft bespoke artisan hipster pubs I've been in, in sarf London. The recipe is basically the European Lager recipe from GH's book (p 83),

Grist: Essentially the same but I use Golden Promise instead of pilsner malt and I dont bother with the Carapils

Hops: Bittering - Magnum instead of NB
20g Hallertau Mittelfrauh @ 10mins
20g Saaz@ 1min

IBU/OG ratio 0.5

Yeast : CML Kolsch fermented at 14C. I dont cold condition/lager as I cant.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back