Quick force carbing a mini keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will4009

Reaction score
Hello,

I am just about to move into kegging and starting out with this setup 5L MiniKeg Party Kit

I have seen the carbonation chart lots of people use, and I believe the 'set and forget' method applies to whatever size the keg is. However, I was told that quick carbing methods are designed for 19 litre corny kegs, and not small 5L mini kegs. Using these quick carb methods with a mini keg would greatly over carb my beer. Is this correct?

Can anyone help me out with a fast carb mini keg method? I did watch one video where a guy carbed up a 9 litre keg, by setting it at 20psi, rocking the keg back and forth for 4 mins, then letting the keg settle for an hour before pouring. Does this sound ok?

The keg is coming tomorrow, I have a hoppy citra that needs kegging/bottling. Would be great if I could be drinking it at the end of the day.

Would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks

2 things to point out here:
  1. You’ll use a Hell of a lot of those 16g CO2 capsules to force carb a beer. If that was your intention you would have been better off with one of the Sodastream minikeg kits that BKT do.
  2. I’m not sure what the situation is with the mini regulators but with a normal regulator you have to be careful not to get beer up your gas disconnect and into your regulator or you’ll flood it and break it. I don’t know what the fittings are like as to whether you’d be able to install a check valve.

2 things to point out here:
  1. You’ll use a Hell of a lot of those 16g CO2 capsules to force carb a beer. If that was your intention you would have been better off with one of the Sodastream minikeg kits that BKT do.
  2. I’m not sure what the situation is with the mini regulators but with a normal regulator you have to be careful not to get beer up your gas disconnect and into your regulator or you’ll flood it and break it. I don’t know what the fittings are like as to whether you’d be able to install a check valve.
Thanks for the reply.

Fortunately enough, I have a readily available supply of those 16g cartridges. I probably have a box of a couple of hundred, and I can get more. So cost/supply wise, its not something that's an issue. But, I may go for the soda stream setup at some point, just so I don't have to keep changing out the 16g cartridges. But, I will see how it goes.

I did read about regulators flooding, but I was unsure what causes that to happen, how it can be avoided and if its an issue with mini regulators.

Thanks for the reply.

Fortunately enough, I have a readily available supply of those 16g cartridges. I probably have a box of a couple of hundred, and I can get more. So cost/supply wise, its not something that's an issue. But, I may go for the soda stream setup at some point, just so I don't have to keep changing out the 16g cartridges. But, I will see how it goes.

I did read about regulators flooding, but I was unsure what causes that to happen, how it can be avoided and if its an issue with mini regulators.
More laborious but you could load in max PSI for the keg (think it's 45) then disconnect the reg and roll it till bubbling stops. Then apply more pressure and repeat.

You could always as @MickDundee suggested use a check valve. Doesn't help you for tomorrow.

I've got not rules or anything on how many bulbs to use etc so can't help there.

More laborious but you could load in max PSI for the keg (think it's 45) then disconnect the reg and roll it till bubbling stops. Then apply more pressure and repeat.

You could always as @MickDundee suggested use a check valve. Doesn't help you for tomorrow.

I've got not rules or anything on how many bulbs to use etc so can't help there.
There seems to be a few different ways to do it. I had not considered loading it up at such a high PSI, then disconnecting and rolling. Maybe an obvious question, but when do you know when its done? When you say 'bubbling', I take it foce carbonation creates a bubbling sound, when this stops, absorption is complete?

There seems to be a few different ways to do it. I had not considered loading it up at such a high PSI, then disconnecting and rolling. Maybe an obvious question, but when do you know when its done? When you say 'bubbling', I take it foce carbonation creates a bubbling sound, when this stops, absorption is complete?
Burst carbing is more hit-and-miss than set and forget, so I don't think you'll know for sure until you try to dispense. That said, I can't be sure as I have never burst-carbed as I have patience wink...

Burst carbing is more hit-and-miss than set and forget, so I don't think you'll know for sure until you try to dispense. That said, I can't be sure as I have never burst-carbed as I have patience wink...
I wanted to learn patience, but I couldn't find anywhere that did a crash course.

Back