R.I.P Bradley Lowery

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
A very sad day.

_96840506_hi039850411.jpg

_93107028_hi036948407.jpg

Six-year-old Bradley Lowery, whose plight touched tens of thousands of people, has died after a long illness.

The Sunderland fan was diagnosed with neuroblastoma - a rare type of cancer - when he was 18 months old.

Bradley went on to be the club's mascot and became "best mates" with his hero, striker Jermain Defoe. He also led England out at Wembley for a World Cup qualifier against Lithuania.

His death was confirmed on social media by his parents.

The posting read: "My brave boy has went with the angels today.

"He was our little superhero and put the biggest fight up but he was needed else where. There are no words to describe how heart broken we are."

Bradley underwent treatment and was in remission, but relapsed last year.

Well-wishers raised more than £700,000 in 2016 to pay for him to be given antibody treatment in New York, but medics then found his cancer had grown and the family were informed his illness was terminal.

In December, Bradley's parents Gemma and Carl, from Blackhall Colliery in County Durham, were told he only had "months to live".

Four months later they were told the latest and final round of his treatment had failed.

He underwent "tumour-shrinking treatment" at Newcastle's Royal Victoria Infirmary but the cancer continued to spread.

On 24 May, Mrs Lowery said Bradley had left hospital to start palliative care at home, adding that more tumours had been found and further radiotherapy was planned.

Then, on 28 June the family wrote on Facebook: "Bradley is deteriorating fast, his temperature is going very high his breathing very fast his oxygen levels low.

"He is sleeping most the time apart from odd times awake. We knew this was coming but we are heartbroken beyond words."

On 1 July his family posted a picture of Bradley with Defoe who, after signing for Bournemouth, returned to the North East to see him.

On Thursday, before Bradley's death, Defoe broke down in tears during a press conference for his new club and said the six-year-old would "always be in my heart".

Bradley became known worldwide following an appeal which saw him receive 250,000 Christmas cards from countries as far away as Australia and New Zealand.

In December he met England manager Gareth Southgate and Match of the Day pundit Gary Lineker at the BBC Sports Personality of the Year bash in Birmingham.

Bradley then won the programme's December goal of the month award after he took a penalty ahead of Sunderland's game against Chelsea.

Bradley became firm friends with his hero Jermain Defoe

DEEt_JoXUAEscNe.jpg

He has also appeared as a mascot for Everton, who pledged £200,000 to his fundraising campaign, and was visited in hospital by a number of Sunderland players.

A dream came true when he appeared as mascot for the England team at Wembley Stadium before a game that saw his hero Defoe score a goal.

He was also given honorary 41st place in the race card for the Grand National at Aintree in April.

On 30 June the charity single "Smile For Bradley" by LIV'n'G entered the singles chart at number 28. All proceeds from the song will go to the Bradley Lowery Foundation, which has been set up in his honour.

He was named Child of Courage at the Pride of North East Awards just days before a party was held to celebrate his sixth birthday, which was attended by Defoe and 250 other well-wishers.

Fewer than 100 children in the UK are diagnosed each year with neuroblastoma and most living with the condition are under the age of five.

I followed his story (if you can call it that) on Twitter from the day it was announced he got 250,000 Christmas cards from countries as far away as Australia and New Zealand and today as you i read this with a lump in my throat no parent should ever bury a child, my heart goes out to them.

He can finally rest in peice now, I can't even begin to imagine how hard he had to fight everyday. No child should ever have to suffer like that. Hopefully the money will enable researchers to progress on curing this and the many other illnesses.

RIP Bradley

Poor little fella. R.I.P.

Jermain Defoe's support and making some of Bradley's dreams come true has been exemplary.
Seconded re Defoe.Nice to see someone doing something for nil return:thumb:

RIP Bradley

A sad time for his family and friends, my thoughts are with them all.

Seconded re Defoe.Nice to see someone doing something for nil return:thumb:

This. Vito Mannone has been top class with him too, and O'Shea and Larsson have visited him several times as well.

not often i have a tear reading the news, today that changed reading this heartbreaking news, r.i.p little one, always made me smile when he was on the box, he smiled in the face of adversity, a lesson for all

I too shed a few tears with a massive lump in my throat when I read this news this afternoon. He certainly touched the heart of many people around the world. The real shame is that there are many more kids like Bradley. My son was diagnosed with Cancer aged 3 years old, he is 11 now and I am truly thankful to all the people who kept him alive, and keep on working to find better treatments for future cancer sufferers.

Rest in peace little man, you didn't deserve such a cruel disease.

As a Sunderland season ticket holder, I know this lad's story quite well. Very sad.

:(

Bradley's story should help us all to put things into perspective. Just imagine a child never being truly 'well'.

His courage, spirit and wonderful smile will live on and I hope the joy he brought to so many people is of comfort to his family.

RIP Bradley.

Latest posts

Back