Racking, bottling etc.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bozuit

Reaction score
Yet more questions. Let me know if I'm boring you all.

First off, let me explain that I'm a student. I've started elderberry wine in my mum's house (where I spent the summer) and left her to tell me when it stops bubbling, which she says it now has. So I need to finish it off now with as few trips back home as possible (preferably just one). I'll explain my plan of action and I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me if it's wrong. I do want to save time and money but not travelling a lot but I also don't want to ruin the wine as it took a LOT of hours to get those elderberries from tree to must (they ripened weirdly with bunches where half were ripe and half weren't, so there was a lot of sorting and a lot of waste).

In a week I'll go back to siphon the wine into another container, take a SG reading and add 5 Campden tablets (one per gallon). Assuming fermentation hasn't stopped early (I doubt it as it has been 4 weeks and in a warm place) I'll probably back sweeten and add stabilizer to prevent further fermentation. Is it OK to just put it straight into bottles to age and clear, or does it need to be racked a few times? I don't want it to end up with **** at the bottom of the bottles. It's elderberry wine so I don't intend to drink it before next winter. Maybe with a bit of the blackberry whisky I'm making....

4 weeks in a warm place should be just about perfect.

I would suggest first racking (with CTs) at 1 month, then leave it in a cool place, second racking with CTs, sorbate and back-sweetening at 3 months, final racking/bottling at 6 months.

Latest posts

Back