Re-Bottling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 23602

Landlord.
Reaction score
So I made a beer quite recently that once bottled, showed a lot of sediment at the bottom, I'm talking 2-3cm.

My question is, can these be opened and re-bottled?

Well, if you can carefully pour them into a new bottle, leaving the sediment behind, then why not just pour them into a glass? You'd need to decarbonate, decant, then bottle and prime. All without disturbing the sediment, and at the risk of contamination and oxidation. Possible, but problematic.

So I made a beer quite recently that once bottled, showed a lot of sediment at the bottom, I'm talking 2-3cm.

My question is, can these be opened and re-bottled?

Depends, how long ago bottled? You could cool it down to near-freezing, to capture as much CO2 as possible in the beer and get the sediment as compact as possible, then pour into new bottle carefully.

But why is there so much sediment?

Well, if you can carefully pour them into a new bottle, leaving the sediment behind, then why not just pour them into a glass? You'd need to decarbonate, decant, then bottle and prime. All without disturbing the sediment, and at the risk of contamination and oxidation. Possible, but problematic.
My naïve and simplistic idea was to pour them all back to the FV via a strainer, prime and re-bottle.

Depends, how long ago bottled? You could cool it down to near-freezing, to capture as much CO2 as possible in the beer and get the sediment as compact as possible, then pour into new bottle carefully.

But why is there so much sediment?
The sediment was an addition... That didn't go to well. But the beer taste fantastic. The biggest problem I'm having is not the pouring into a beer glass, but the sediment creating pockets of oxygen and then when I open, it going bang. Was just hoping I could redo the bottling and get rid of the sediment. It was bottled about 1 month ago.

The sediment was an addition... That didn't go to well. But the beer taste fantastic. The biggest problem I'm having is not the pouring into a beer glass, but the sediment creating pockets of oxygen and then when I open, it going bang. Was just hoping I could redo the bottling and get rid of the sediment.
Your beer shouldnt go 'bang' . If it does it sounds like it is overcarbed (not over-oxygenated).
Why not just leave it in the bottles, chill well before opening, pour it into a serving jug, and dispense from that. Wilko will sell you a 1 litre glass jug for £1.50.
That's by far the easiest option and likely to involve the least wasted beer.
And put the whole thing down to experience.

Your beer shouldnt go 'bang' . If it does it sounds like it is overcarbed (not over-oxygenated).
Why not just leave it in the bottles, chill well before opening, pour it into a serving jug, and dispense from that. Wilko will sell you a 1 litre glass jug for £1.50.
That's by far the easiest option and likely to involve the least wasted beer.
And put the whole thing down to experience.
That's currently what I'm doing at the moment. Gotta love Wilkos. But I just want to explore the possibility.

Now you got me wanting to know what the addition was!
Peanut butter powder. It all went well and it does taste good... I just screwed up the bottling.

Is there anything stopping me from pouring them all back to the FV via a strainer, prime and re-bottle?

Peanut butter powder. It all went well and it does taste good... I just screwed up the bottling.

Is there anything stopping me from pouring them all back to the FV via a strainer, prime and re-bottle?

Chance of infection, so better clean everything, sanitise and WHAT?! peanut butter?! Isn't that fatty? As in no head?
Anyway, I don't know how big the batch was, but you could try it with just 1 bottle of ... stuff, icecold, very fine strainer, (funnel with fine sieve would be best), avoid splashing because oxidation is a thing, and I hope it works.

If it works, you could consider the whole batch in one go. Or just a few bottles a t the time.

Damn... peanut butter powder...

Chance of infection, so better clean everything, sanitise and WHAT?! peanut butter?! Isn't that fatty? As in no head?
Anyway, I don't know how big the batch was, but you could try it with just 1 bottle of ... stuff, icecold, very fine strainer, (funnel with fine sieve would be best), avoid splashing because oxidation is a thing, and I hope it works.

If it works, you could consider the whole batch in one go. Or just a few bottles a t the time.

Damn... peanut butter powder...
I'm gonna give it a bash, tempted to use the coffee filters I have at home. Thanks @GerritT .

And yes, a Peanut Butter Coffee Chocolate Porter. And no fat, peanut butter powder has the fat removed.

I've rebottled over-carbonated beer in the past by exactly the methodology described. They have been strong, "special" beers that were small volume batches. Poured (or exploded) into a small 15L FV and then just rebottled.

These experimental brews were "special" in the sense that they were more trouble than they were ever worth.

Latest posts

Back