Re: IPA By Mitch Steele

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleman

Regular.
Reaction score
Good Ed said:
Gents, this is a book review section, if you want to make your points as to whether you like American IPA's or make comments about America, I suggest you do it in another section, thanks.
Don't know if this is the right section for this, but my comment was aimed fairly and squarely at an erroneous conclusion drawn by someone from the book. I stand by my comments In no way can you compare a modern 'Hop Forward' American IPA to a traditional British IPA! And I find the vast majority of US IPA's to be boring and one dimensional, and a single pint of one such beer is quite able to ruin a night out drinking . . . Some people may enjoy the lingering taste of hop resins for several hours, I'm not one of them.

while i can appreciate a marstons old empire on cask, give me a calderra ipa anytime, i find citrus far more refreshing than toffee anyday!

I would agree with you on the whole Aleman, hence my initial query about "IPA By Mitch Steele" being Americancentric. Have you read the book? I hadn't for this reason alone, though I may indeed be wrong. The comments of US IPA's being closer to the original English IPA's seems ridiculous, and as this was a comment informed by someone who read the book, I guess I'll take that as my answer, unless anyone can verify otherwise.

If people need a quick accurate summary of traditional IPA, I would point you to:

http://zythophile.wordpress.com/2010/03 ... e-summary/

(Don't believe the hype on Wikipedia)

nobody is forcing you to read the book, and maybe it's not for you.

I found it very good; history of IPA in Britain (Hodgsons, Bass etc), and America where NE brewers in the 1800's were brewing Burton style IPA's aged 1-2 years before bottling (CH Evans, Ballantine, Frank Jones), with a brief brewing history of Canada, Australia and India, hop IPA became to be exported to India and other countries, through the decline in IPA's here due to taxation, in America due to prohibition, last century breweries (Allsopps, Barclay Perkins, Whitbread, Bass, Worthington, Younger's, McEwans, the American craft brewing revolution in the late 70's (what was going on here?), through to present day. Recipes from breweries for UK and US (49), with brewing techniques for IPA's, breweries information on mashing, boiling and fermenting. Analytical information, conversion units, large bibliography. What is there not to like?

Latest posts

Back