Reboil?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Portreath

Landlord.
Reaction score
I made a milk stout last Sunday, and left it in the boil kettle to cool down. I was called away and have been busy all week, so when I get to the Kettle the wort will have been sitting it it for a week. It's been covered all week so I'm wondering if it will be safe to decant to the FV, or I should reboil the wort before moving to the FV?

Covered as in air tight? Chilled? I'd be concerned that it hasn't started to go rancid. I would definitely reboil or at least get it up to around 80 and keep it there to pasturise it.

What was the ambient temp where it was stored if normal room temp or below it probably will be ok take a hydrometer reading and if the OG is as expected it should be fine to go. What I would also do is look to see if there has been any fermentation from wild yeast strains if not it should be ok even if it has shown signs of fermentation it could still be a good wild yeast? So as long as it smells ok looks ok go with it. You can pasteurize it as suggested if you want by raising the temp to 80C if you really want but if it looks and smells good I would just go with it, if it was mine pasteurizing should not have much boil off effect so the IBU's will be nominal in rising

Last edited:
It's been sealed all week, and I guess it's been sitting at 18c. The lid has not been removed so hoping all is well. I'll be heading back later today to take a look and hopefully get it fermenting soon.

Hi

I don't have anything to add over the above advice ... but I am interested to hear what you find when you get back to your brew :?: ... please post an updatewink...

Cheers, PhilB

My first all grain brews were left to cool in the boil kettle. This can lead to infections as its exposed to air. I now chill in an air tight container. Be interested to see how it turns out. Fingers crossed

@samale What type if container do you use? I
As I’d of thought a plastic container would implode?

Last edited:
I agree with The Baron. If you're sure there's no evidence of activity, rehydrate some powdered yeast ASAP and get it in there. Keep it fairly warm so your yeast has a chance to overpower any nasties that might have got in there. Two packets would be better than one, but one will do if that's all you have.

It might be ok. But whenever I've left my no chill wort longer than 2 days its always had an odd odor, which i assumed it had started to spontaneously ferment. The two times this happened I just chucked the yeast in, and the beer turned out fine

Pull the pin on a grenade, pop the lever, and hold on. Every now and then one is a dud.

Interested to see what you find. Pictures would be nice too.

All the Best,
D. White

Dont think your analogy works very well. If it goes horribly wrong for the OP,the worst that can happen is he'll have to pour the brew down the sink. Get it wrong with a grenade and your singing withthe angels :rolleyes:

Dont think your analogy works very well. If it goes horribly wrong for the OP,the worst that can happen is he'll have to pour the brew down the sink. Get it wrong with a grenade and your singing withthe angels :rolleyes:

Some people get REAL emotional about bad beer. You're right though, I've never heard of a suicide over it.

All the Best,
D. White

Well well well. I'm surprised. Just got back from the diner (where the brew is) and I now have 19 - 20ltrs of milk stout in the FV. It was sitting in a 50 ltr stainless steel boil kettle, a huge saucepan with tap, and thermometer. The lid is a typical sit on saucepan style lid. I'm thinking that because after the boil the lid remained closed the pressure change in the pot when the wort cooled helped to seal the lid. I opened it and there was a fair amount of condensed water on the inner lid. The wort smelled great and the surface was super nice, clean and glistening. No dodgy smells or weird surface material, just bright clean wort. It came out at 1.056 which is bang on the money. So I decanted straight from the tap about three foot it into the FV and sprinkled the MJ Liberty bell ale yeast straight on top of a big foamy head of wort.... feeling confident athumb..

Last edited:
clapaclapaclapa

... REALLY pleased to hear that, like you say sounds like you've managed to get it all sealed up (whether through luck or planning) and nothing's been able to get at it ... good news! ... and good luck with the brew athumb..

Cheers, PhilB

Thank @PhilBrew :hat:looking forward to a few xmas pints of milk stout (fingers crossed) Yes @GerritT Oh yes, totally unplanned so a little luck on my side here.
MJ Liberty bell is my go to ale yeast, tried a few but so far this one has never let me down...oh hope I'm not tempting fate with this one :laugh8:

Latest posts

Back