Recipe and water profiles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

private4587

Reaction score
Hi everyone just received my brewzilla which i am looking forward to using. My main aim is bitters, hoppy ales and some lagers all to be used in conjunction with my beer engine. What i am looking for is suggestions of recipes along with water profiles to suit. I have various books Graham wheels and greg hughes for example but i suffer in finding decent water profiles to suit. I do use brunwater but find a lot of the profiles in there mainly aimed at the americans, no offence intended. many thanks in advance.

You may wish to take a look at brewfather online Brewfather which has a water calculator, you can set up your own water profile to compare against a library of water profiles.
There are other water calculators and I can't compare them directly as I generally use the brewfather one. I have played with an excel spreadsheet that was based on a mineral water calculator and ended up a bit lost for the additions.

For an illustrative set of water profiles see Brewing Water Target Profiles - Brewer's Friend

Anna

Many thanks Anna but I find these profiles aimed more at the Americans and to me do not reflect our idea of mineral additions

The trouble with the American sites is they have their own opinion what our water should be and Pidgeon hole it where our beers tend to refuse to be Pidgeon holed. As an example Landlord should be sulphate forward but if fact it is more chloride forward. I tend to stick to the parameters set by English brewers

The range for minerals added to English Ales is quite wide:

1625559457724.png

...and quite a bit more mineralised than the US brewers use for their beers. Note that the masses are anhydrous so you have to add the extra mass of any water of crystallisation.

Latest posts

Back