Recommendations for a vacuum sealer...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheepish

Reaction score
Evnin’ all,

I’ve now got a heck load of hops (15kg) thanks to the Brewers Select hops sale, and I’m looking to re-bag them into 500g lots to go into the freezer ...so I now need a vacuum sealing machine.

Can recommend a good one without breaking the bank???

I've got the same one as Bigcol49 linked to. Note that you do need the special bags to get a vacuum seal because the ribbing lets it suck out the air while it's clamped down before it applies the heat to seal.

Last edited:

Attachments

• IMAG0067.jpg
    IMAG0067.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 96
Last edited by a moderator:
You could try plastic zip-lock bags as an alternative. Put hops in the bag, lower it into a bucket of water which will drive the air out and then zip up.

There's a particular type of American loony called a 'preper',who thinks that the Government is coming to get them/the apocalypse is just around the corner/etc. They do things like store large amounts of dry food for these eventualties. One way they do it is using mylar bag and then adding 'oxygen eaters' (which you can buy on ebay) , these will absorbe all the oxygen in the bag. Then sealing the mylar bag with a clothes iron or hair straigheners. I'm sure this would work for hops too if it works for dry food

you must have been unlucky I have the same one and it has had plenty of work and works fine
On the one my wife bought they actually answered a question as to wether this would work in Hong Kong (220v) with the following.

For the item, please note that it is a US version.

And the voltage of the item is 120V, 50Hz.

Hope you can understand that.

So maybe there are different versions.
Anyhow we've got a bit more expensive one from Amazon now. A bit easier to send back if things go wrong.

Latest posts

Back