Recovering massively over carbonated beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valdid_shaw

Reaction score
I did a couple of brews some weeks back, both racked to cornies and sat on CO2 for a couple of weeks to improve etc. This has always been my method like many others.

I majorly screwed up with one, somehow setting my carbonated waaay to high (like 60-80psi) which I discovered when I came to pour. (Second brew was perfect BTW!)

For last few weeks I’ve been diligently releasing the CO2 in the hope to flatten it sufficiently to start drinking. Finally got to that stage tonight and after trialing the first half pint (which was ‘ok’ - usual gloominess of first pint or so before you get to the clear stuff) I presumed it would improve. It hadn’t - instead I’ve got proper mud coming out - good couple of pints of it. Doesn’t taste off, more that it all tastes like the **** at the bottom of the keg.

Dont know whether to write it off as a bad job or whether to leave it yet another week to resettle. Or... whether the trauma it’s been through has wrecked it or messed something up chemically.

Any advice gratefully received.

Well if it were mine I certainly wouldn‘t write it off yet... i’m no expert but I wouldn‘t imagine just overcarbonating it then ‘flattening’ it would cause permanent harm. Definitely nothing to lose by leaving it at least a week to settle - maybe even stick it outside on these cold nights to cold crash it a bit?

Venting the excess carbonation is what you need to do but each time you do it the bubbles that form when you depressurise will kick up the trub.

The only advice I can give - and it's not from experience - is to vent in one long go then repressurize to where it should have been.

No personal experience, but sounds like it could be vented.

Let out the pressure by taking the lid off? Then leave to stand in a cold place for a few days to settle? Who knows once brought down to the correct serving pressure the beer could be nitrogen smooth. What ever you do don't throw it away.

Back