Refractometer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do any of you use a Refractometer instead of a hydrometer, i received one yesterday and it seems much easier to read than a Hydrometer. What do you all think of these devices, do you find them accurate ?
I have a cheap one from Amazon. It's OK as a gauge, but not as accurate or reliable as a hydrometer. I used it just to get a quick feel of the OG (either during the brewing process or fermenation) but rely on the hydrometer for OG/FG readings.

I have a cheap one from Amazon. It's OK as a gauge, but not as accurate or reliable as a hydrometer. I used it just to get a quick feel of the OG (either during the brewing process or fermenation) but rely on the hydrometer for OG/FG readings.
Yes mine was Amazon £17. I think for awhile ill take readings with both and get a feel for how the readings compared 🙏

The main benefits of using a refractometer are that they only require a small sample of wort to take a reading and they can automatically compensate for temperature variations. The temperature compensation is particularly useful when taking gravity readings during the mash/boil.

The main disadvantage of a refractometer is that their gravity readings are skewed by the presence of alcohol, so you either need to figure out how to correct for this or only use it for pre-fermentation readings. This page provides more detail on correcting for the presence of alcohol: https://www.brewersfriend.com/how-to-determine-your-refractometers-wort-correction-factor

I use a refractometer for all pre-fermentation gravity readings, anything after that I use a hydrometer.

Last edited:
The main benefits of using a refractometer are that they only require a small sample of wort to take and reading and they can automatically compensate for temperature variations. The temperature compensation is particularly useful when taking gravity readings during the mash/boil.

The main disadvantage of a refractometer is that their gravity readings are skewed by the presence of alcohol, so you either need to figure out how to do correct for this or only use it for pre-fermentation readings. This page provides more detail on correcting for the presence of alcohol: https://www.brewersfriend.com/how-to-determine-your-refractometers-wort-correction-factor

I use a refractometer for all pre-fermentation gravity readings, anything after that I use a hydrometer.
Thank you ill have a read of that

I regularly used a refractometer during the mash on my brew days but then used a hydrometer for OG and FG readings. Now my process is well established and pretty consistent I no longer bother with the refractometer and just use my hydrometer. A useful tool for in process monitoring.

I regularly used a refractometer during the mash on my brew days but then used a hydrometer for OG and FG readings. Now my process is well established and pretty consistent I no longer bother with the refractometer and just use my hydrometer. A useful tool for in process monitoring.
Thank you Neighbour

I'm the opposite. I use a refractometer upto getting an OG. Then rarely bother with gravity readings after. With open fermentation until the krausen starts to drop, followed by long maturation using a corny as a conditioning tank, I can see how fermentation is going and can predicably rely on it fully fermenting out. A ballpark abv calculation from predicted FG plus a few points from bottle conditioning, is close enough for my needs.

I’m a bit anal I’m afraid and I NEED to know the actual FG 😂 hence hydrometer for OG and FG. I’m in awe of your relaxed approach @Sadfield 😂
Hi Buffers i don't mean this in a bad way, but i am very relaxed with the whole process my view is the more faff and fiddle with it things will go wrong acheers.

I use my refractometer all the time. They are easy to use, but also easy to screw up if you don't know what you are doing. You need to be aware of a few things:

• You need to keep it zeroed or account for it reading a little off zero using plain water.
  • Alcohol skews the readings but in a very predictable manner. Use the previously mentioned calculator at Brewer's Friend (use "Part II") to equate a reading to specific gravity when alcohol is present.
  • Temperature and evaporation DOES impact the readings. Make sure you're not reading hot samples directly, and also make sure a steaming hot sample is not left for a long time to cool where it is evaporating a great deal before measuring. Best way to chill samples quickly is just to keep a little empty bowl in your refrigerator, then by placing a hot sample in your cold bowl it will immediately be chilled without a lot of steaming off, then you can measure a couple minutes later.
For more guidance on proper use, here is general guidance from yours truly:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=28544.msg404366#msg404366

Last edited:
Although refractometers have temperature compensation so will tell you the gravity of you (say) 80 centigrade wort you have to remember that the gravity of the same wort at 20 centigrade will be different.
I take the view that the tiny sample will cool so quickly that it doesn't matter.
People will also tell you about temperature correction for hydrometers. Most are calibrated to 20 centrigrade but if you do the calculations you'll find very little difference for most fermentation temperatures. So I don't bother.

Hi Buffers i don't mean this in a bad way, but i am very relaxed with the whole process my view is the more faff and fiddle with it things will go wrong acheers.
Hi @Rodcx500z . I'm with you brother .... but....I need things to do to fill my days.. so...as you rightly say the more fiddle and faff the greater the risk if things going wrong. But that means I have something to fix! Don't believe in KISS asad....used to, when I was "working" but in retirement now, so different perspective 😂.
Cheers mate acheers.

Although refractometers have temperature compensation so will tell you the gravity of you (say) 80 centigrade wort you have to remember that the gravity of the same wort at 20 centigrade will be different.
I take the view that the tiny sample will cool so quickly that it doesn't matter.
This is where evaporation comes into play. That wee bit of steaming as the sample droplets cool can skew the readings higher than reality.

Do any of you use a Refractometer instead of a hydrometer, i received one yesterday and it seems much easier to read than a Hydrometer. What do you all think of these devices, do you find them accurate ?

Used them for years I have 3 for different things. Ideal for pre-ferment calculations (sugar) and with the right scale they predict %.

I still use a hydrometer to check if something has finished.

@Sadfield I agree. I routinely don't use either, experience wins out.

I bought a kegland saber refractometer after burning my hand taking a sample mid brew (thankfully it wasn't a bad burn). I have only used it for 1 brew so not much experience but it was much easier than taking a sample and putting it in the fridge to cool before getting a reading. I cant say whether it is any better than a generic refractometer as it is the first one that I have used but it did seem accurate when compared to a side by side hydrometer reading (once the sample had cooled)

I think I'd trust a cheap refractometer more than a cheap hydrometer.

I just take one of the small pipettes that come with the refractometer and waggle the bulb in my bucket of starsan for a few seconds to cool it before taking the measurement so its a bit more accurate. But use a hydrometer for FG readings.

But since most refractometers are calibrated for fruit juice then there is a correction factor you should establish and take into account when using with wort, though I think the Kegland refractometer is graded to read wort so should be a direct read.

Latest posts

Back