Rhubarb Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren Jeory

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi there

I'm thinking of Brewing a blonde ale but using rhubarb in place of some cops for bitterness.

Has anyone done this before?

Two years ago I added 2kg of Rhubarb to a Saison and it went quite well. Saison is not particularly bittered and neither is a Blonde, generally speaking.
On reviewing feedback from others using Rhubarb, most regretted not having used more!
On that basis I would suggest, as an approach, to go for no more than, say, 20 IBUs for bittering and adding lots of Rhubarb. Think I added them after the initial ferment.
Would suggest a Belgian yeast, possibly

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/new-year-slid-brewday.75529/page-7
Posts 128 and 129 for the recipe.

Yeah I was thinking that but I was thinking of adding the rhubarb for the last 20 mins of the boil?

What I did was wash the rhubarb, cut it into chunks, freeze it and then thaw it. Added it in a mesh bag to the FV after the first 3 days of fermentation.
3kg of rhubarb trub in the bottom of the boiler might be a pain!

I made a rhubarb saison once and it was amazing, really worked with the yeast to create a dry tangy but refreshing beer. I put some in at end of boil and a little more as a dry hop type addition. Be careful though it will turn to mush after a few mins in the boil

I made a rhubarb saison once and it was amazing, really worked with the yeast to create a dry tangy but refreshing beer. I put some in at end of boil and a little more as a dry hop type addition. Be careful though it will turn to mush after a few mins in the boil
Yeah I was gonna put it in a muslin bag

I wonder if getting through 40 pints of rhubarb ale will have the same effect as 40 bowls of rhubarb crumble...
You joke @Clint but only a month or two ago I saw something, I think, on Jamil Zainasheff's Twitter feed about a blueberry pie sour ("Pie of the Beholder" by Moonraker Brewing) - I think they used a bit of vanilla to get the "pie" aspect which I suppose could also evoke the taste of custard you might have on your crumble.

You joke @Clint but only a month or two ago I saw something, I think, on Jamil Zainasheff's Twitter feed about a blueberry pie sour ("Pie of the Beholder" by Moonraker Brewing) - I think they used a bit of vanilla to get the "pie" aspect which I suppose could also evoke the taste of custard you might have on your crumble.
Rhubarb and custard ale....I like it

I have long considered making a rhubarb ale, I think it has a flavour that would work in a beer, but had never found a recipe to base one upon. There are lots a recipes for rhubarb gose's, sours, saisons and wit/weissbiers, but I would want to make something more akin to a Rhubarb Pie PA, with vanilla of course.

I have long considered making a rhubarb ale, I think it has a flavour that would work in a beer, but had never found a recipe to base one upon. There are lots a recipes for rhubarb gose's, sours, saisons and wit/weissbiers, but I would want to make something more akin to a Rhubarb Pie PA, with vanilla of course.
I would pick your fav IPA recipe then add some rhubarb in a muslin bag as you would a late hop addition...then maybe some more when you dry hop?

I'm gonna use a belgian ale recipe (just ordered the stuff) and do exactly that

Thats the thing I love about brewing...there are no wrong answers its what works for you...a bit of trial and error until you are happy with it

Latest posts

Back