Ridiculous beer descriptions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonh82

Landlord.
Reaction score
I was just listening to the excellent Basic Brewing podcast and they were interviewing a commercial brewer who was serving a "barrel aged, imperial raspberry mild". I cannot think of anything that sounds less like a mild. I think almost by definition it can't be a mild.

I know the beer world is full of ridiculous descriptions but has anyone come across anything so contradictory?

Black IPA is probably the most oxymoronic name. Still delicious though.
Yes, black IPA is definitely an oxymoron but at least you can point to the fact it is still a lot like an IPA. I can't see how an imperial barrel aged beer is anything like a mild.

1697459736977.png

This used to be a good one from when Wychwood were still "fiercely independent". I mean, fancy calling a beer "big, round and fruity!" It's just asking for trouble.

Nice with a shot of Vimto, too.

Don't know about the rest of ye but if I see the word 'juicy' anywhere near a beer, I avoid like the plague. I don't want a beer that tastes like it would get the thumbs up from the man from Del Monte.
Totally agree. Beer should taste of beer.
I liken the hazy IPA (sweeter, fruit flavours, low bitterness) to the same fashion for alcopops about 20 years ago.

Totally agree. Beer should taste of beer.
I liken the hazy IPA (sweeter, fruit flavours, low bitterness) to the same fashion for alcopops about 20 years ago.
I get irritated by the use of "hazy" when the beer is opaque and looks like the contents of my primary fermenter. It's another example of the "more is more" attitude taken from US craft brewing (hazy, unfiltered beer GOOD, very hazy/opaque beer BETTER).

And, yes, I am a grumpy, old man! :-)

I get irritated by the use of "hazy" when the beer is opaque and looks like the contents of my primary fermenter. It's another example of the "more is more" attitude taken from US craft brewing (hazy, unfiltered beer GOOD, very hazy/opaque beer BETTER).

And, yes, I am a grumpy, old man! :-)
I'm with you on this. "Haze": "a slight obscuration".

it would be better described as "cloudy/murky IPA".

Latest posts

Back