Ridiculous beer descriptions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a rugby thing, innit? £2.75 a pint. Sounds good to me.
Mind you, at 4% that is pretty toothless.

"Harlebury Hooker" has a similar theme

Untitled.png

Personally I'm not fond of the terms Black IPA and White Stout, but I understand its simply a naming system to indicate the style of beer, so that the consumer know what kind of beer it is.

If we were going to insist on literal descriptions for beers how on earth would you go about marketing Carling or Fosters?

Totally agree. Beer should taste of beer.
I liken the hazy IPA (sweeter, fruit flavours, low bitterness) to the same fashion for alcopops about 20 years ago.

Christmas brings out the best in brewers that feel the need to add all manner of fruity spicy sh1te to beer.

Christmas pudding wine anyone?

It doesn't have to be Christmas. A bit of a bugbear when brewers add stuff to beer to get flavours that can be obtained from malt, hops or yeast, by good recipe design or process control. Spices in Belgian ales, fruits in IPAs, chocolate or coffee in stouts.

Christmas brings out the best in brewers that feel the need to add all manner of fruity spicy sh1te to beer.

Christmas pudding wine anyone?
Not just beer. Flavoured coffee seems to be a trend around Christmas.

I love coffee. I love Christmas pudding. I don't want them both in the same cup!

How about this Frankenstein creation.....???

View attachment 90988
I saw that yesterday as well. 🤦‍♀️.

It's big breweries cashing in on the name of their popular beer. It's the same with the range of Speckled Hen and Hobgoblin beers.

Except this is worse because old peculiar is a rich dark malty beer... Almost diametrically opposite an IPA!

I think with something like 'Peculiar IPA' it's pretty clear what you are getting, or at least it should be.

I'd expect a Black IPA that has a moderate to high level of malt character (i.e. it isn't just coloured black by using Carafa Special) with plenty of hop flavour and aroma too.

Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but don't think the name has anything to do with that.

Well, for a start Old Peculier isn't a beer style it's a beer name that they've used since the 1800s. The beer is an English Strong Ale, which has more in common with India Pale Ale than anything brewed today. Every beer theakstons brew has Peculier on the label, it's part of their logo. Cashing in, FFS!😂

Last edited:
I love coffee. I love Christmas pudding. I don't want them both in the same cup!
Christmas pudding latte would probably be pretty good.

I think there's definitely a place for that kinda thing, it starts to get a bit weird with all the 'half caff, no foam, extra shot, mocha choca wakka wakka' nonsense though.

"The 5.1 per cent Theakston’s Peculier IPA is brewed using the finest of British malted barley and three new world, English grown hops, Harlequin, Jester and Olicana delivering a zesty, fruitiness with a full-bodied malty undertone that finishes with a pronounced hop-forward flourish, creating a unique character worthy of its illustrious namesake."

It's an interesting label. All the other beers seem to be Theakson's Bitter or Quencher or whatever, but they all have the Seal of the Peculier of Masham. The IPA doesn't have the logo in fact.

Latest posts

Back