Ridiculous beer descriptions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think with something like 'Peculiar IPA' it's pretty clear what you are getting, or at least it should be.

I'd expect a Black IPA that has a moderate to high level of malt character (i.e. it isn't just coloured black by using Carafa Special) with plenty of hop flavour and aroma too.

Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but don't think the name has anything to do with that.
What you describe doesn't sound like an IPA 😂

What you describe doesn't sound like an IPA 😂

Maybe not, but this is what the BJCP describe a Black IPA as...

'A beer with the dryness, hop-forward balance, and flavor characteristics of an American IPA, but darker in color. Darker malts add a gentle and supportive flavor, not a strongly roasted or burnt character.'

As they are using the 'Peculiar' brand name I'd expect it to be pushing the upper limits of the malt character.

I still think the name adequately describes what you are going to get in the bottle.

6f589f7685f5edae32ab3c1ce50bf5ac_640x640.jpg

I don't think that many supermarket shoppers well have read the BJCP style guides. Or even heard of the BJCP... Or black IPA 😂
Who gives a flying frolic what BJCP say? They've nothing to do with what an English family brewery decide to call their beer.
I suspect this beer is exactly what it says on the label, a "Peculier IPA". Only looking at the pictures, but it doesn't look very black to me. Is it supposed to be?

Last edited:
Who gives a flying frolic what BJCP say? They've nothing to do with what an English family brewery decide to call their beer.
💯. Beer JUDGE certification program. They don't get to define anything about beer. It's also (like a lot of other certification stuff) just a money making scheme to get people to hand over their hard earned cash in exchange for a certificate. Woop-de-woop
I suspect this beer is exactly what it says on the label, a "Peculier IPA". Only looking at the pictures, but it doesn't look very black to me. Is it supposed to be?
It's only really the brewer who decides what it should be. As I said, this is cashing in on the old peculier name, and so probably "just an IPA from Theakston"

@Sadfield I dont care about the label whats it like? ;)

(Big old Peculier fan)

View attachment 90998
Unfortunately not my photo. OP is great, so I'm interested to try this. I suspect it'll be a nice balance between hops, sweet malt and bitterness. And offend the johnny-come-lately's, that think IPA stands for Indigenous Product of America, for not being a crushable hazy.

@Agentgonzo They probably are. Independent, small batch brewery. If they aren't, who is?
Any small, independent brewery that isn't ~30% owned by Heineken?

Theakston try to keep that bit quiet, they like to give the impression that the family bought back the entire company from Heineken but it's not true.

As for "original", they don't even go back two centuries whereas eg Sheps go back more than three. If you accept that traditional family brewers are more "craft" than most "craft breweries", Sheps probably qualify in terms of a corporate structure going back to 1698 and with roots in monastic brewing on the site that goes back much further.

If you accept that traditional family brewers are more "craft" than most "craft breweries"
Sheps is a good call. I don't know about more, but the gist of the question was based around old family breweries fitting the definitions used by the "Craft" sector. For example, the likes of JW Lees and Elgoods have been invited to Indymanbeercon, a festival that sets out to promote "craft" brewing.

Last edited:
I’m slightly confused about comments about a NEIPA not tasting like beer? In what way does it not taste like beer?

I could understand if it was one of these mango milkshake IPAs with kilos of added fruit pulp/puree and loads of lactose, but a NEIPA is just malt, wheat, oats, hops and yeast.

A stout doesn’t taste like a bitter, which doesn’t taste like a pale lager, which doesn’t taste like a west coast IPA, which doesn’t taste like a hefeweizen, but nobody would claim any of them didn’t taste like beer.

Back