Rosehip Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peapodmaster

Regular.
Reaction score
Just pitched the yeast for my Rosehip wine after leaving it 24 hours with a campden tablet. the rosehips have be soaking for about the same time.. and are now straining slowing through the muslin as i have hoisted it out of the must. the colour of the liquid is a sugar-water colour.. ? if anyone understands what i mean ? like its got a small tinge of yellow or copper to it. i thought it would be red from using rosehips? can anyone tell me if i've done something wrong ? hopefully it'll ferment. my house has been rather cool lately. wraped the FV in towels :D

Cheers

Andy

By chance I have my boots book in front of me and it says 9 oz of rosehip shells and ferment on them for 7 days. 24h does seem rather short time, but probably different recipe.

That would be for dried rosehips Harry.

For fresh ones, 2 lbs to the gallon, boiling water, 2 weeks in the bucket, and it makes a golden wine.

do you leave them in the bucket for 2 weeks? because it said only leave them for a day in my "boozer for free" book by andy hamilton. ughh i'm not so sure now!

I did think of that as I have seen dried rosehip shells in LHBS but it didn't say dried in the book and normally they do a dried and fresh version of recipes, I don't think the book does have a fresh recipe then, I will have to check. Cheers Moley

Peapodmaster said:
do you leave them in the bucket for 2 weeks?
Depends what you're using, the earlier and quite round cultivated rose hips are pretty soft so 5-7 days is probably quite long enough, but the smaller, harder, darker, wild or dog rose hips (just coming on now) need smashing and a good long steep

oohhhh gosh, i've already taken them out and pitched the yeast.. dam.

will it just be a light flavour of rosehips then ? the book said 1 day! 1 day i tell you.. (i did blend them up and chop them loads)

Hmmmm.. really want this too work.. picked all the rosehips around here as well... damn

I just tasted my own 11.8% Rosehip Wine for the first time last night.
I started it on 15/10/2010 and bottled 10 litres on 07/06/2011.
It was bloody awful! Hard and metallic and undrinkable...
Bummer! It maybe needs some more time in the bottle.
Hope yours turns out OK. :thumb:

wow, does it really take that long? its been 2 days and i still haven't seen any signs of fermentation... its getting fustrating.

Peapodmaster said:
wow, does it really take that long?...
Here's the recipe I followed. Can't remember where I found it, but note the last line!

ROSE HIP WINE

Makes: 5 litres

Ingredients

1kg rose hips
1kg finely granulated sugar
1 Campden tablet, crushed
5 litres hot, boiled water
1 small cup of black tea (to add tannin)
5g/1 tsp citric acid
5g/1 tsp pectic enzyme
5g/1 tsp yeast nutrient
7g packet wine yeast

Method

Sterilise the fermentation vessel, lid, airlock, mixing spoon and any other implements.

Wash, top and tail and chop the rose hips coarsely.

Boil the water and add it to the fermentation vessel.

Dissolve the sugar in the hot water.

Place the chopped hips into the fermentation vessel, mix everything thoroughly and secure the lid.

When the water has cooled to room temperature, mix the crushed Campden tablet in a little warm water and stir into the fermentation vessel. Replace the lid and let stand for 24 hours.

The following day, make the yeast starter by adding the wine yeast and yeast nutrient to a little tepid water in a glass. Cover the glass with cling film and let stand for a couple of hours until the fermentation process is in full flow.

Add the yeast starter to the fermentation bucket together with the citric acid, pectic enzyme, black tea and stir well. Replace the lid.

Let stand for 10-14 days, stirring once daily.

Strain the liquor through muslin into a suitable clean, sterilised vessel and then transfer it to a demijohn. Fit a bung and airlock and let stand until the wine clears, around 3 months.

Rack off to another demijohn and let stand for a further 3 months.

Bottle the wine and allow to age for between 3-24 months.

Back