Rotting fruit or fresh?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit081

Reaction score
Guys and Gals what are your thoughts?

Over the years I have tried using all types, very fresh fruit, softer more ripe fruit, and almost rotten fruit, Im lead to believe that when fruit begins to rot it produces a lot more flavour for wine making, I have found this to be true in some cases but it can spoil the taste of the wine.

I have found that using very fresh still firm fruits produces are fresher tasting wine but not so flavoursome.

Im one of those brewers that does not boil fruit, I prefer to crush and let sit.

What do you think?

Apparently bletting improves the flavour of some fruit but only a small percentage.

It also uses up their natural sugar content or so im told lol

Personally I would only ever use ripe or perhaps just over ripe fruit for winemaking (Except for Bananas . . . The browner the better for bananas) of the best quality I could get.

I too do not like to cook my fruit when making wine . . . either resorting to using boiling water to kill surface bugs (Hard fruits) or a soak in metabisulphite solution for the softer ones . . . very soft fruit is crushed and boiling water added . . . then sulphited.

Lets face it its like cooking . . . and to produce a top quality result you have to use top quality ingredients

Back