Rusty probe...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdeDunn

Reaction score
So, took my boiler apart for a bit of maintenance today, and to relocate the mashing probe from the lid to the tap.... Glad I did, this is what I found on one of the probes....

IMG_20181125_112036.jpg

Funnily enough, this was the first probe I ordered, and came from China via Ebay... My other probe is spotless, and I ordered that from a UK based seller and was slightly more expensive (literally slightly, as in about £9 vs £6.50 for the one from China...).

I can't even be bothered trying to get it replaced, past experience has not been good trying to get customer service from Chinese sellers on eBay. lol So in the bin with it, and I'll order a replacement from the same seller as my other probe...

Oh, and yeah, listing described it as 304 stainless steel.... :laugh8:

Lucky you! At least you've had some serviceable life from it.

My Chinese stainless steel probe went rusty before I finished building the vessel it was attached to. But I did get the chance to test it - the bond between probe and mounting leaks profusely.

I reckon we should have a rule: "China" and "stainless steel" are mutually exclusive. Shame, Chinese stuff is incredibly cheap, just that if it costs a tenth of what you might otherwise pay best buy ten of them to be in with a chance of having a working one.

The odds are my other probe is made in China too, I just bought it from a UK based seller is all. So it cost a little bit more and got to me a lot faster... The only other difference is that it's a 4 pin plug fitting, rather than a 3 pin, which meant 2 leads not 1.... Which was annoying...

Neither leaked, but then I used plenty of plumbers PTFE on the thread (a must when mixing NPT fittings with BSP ones).

A LOT of the stuff sold in this country comes from China originally, just by the time it reaches our shores the prices has been increased considerably. The difference though is in a better chance of getting decent customer service (but not always....). It's a lottery though whether you get the GOOD Chinese stuff, or the shoddy Chinese stuff.

Guess I'm lucky, this was a "spotted whilst performing maintenance", rather than a "OMH! My brew day is ruined!" eh? ;) Pays to maintain your equipment regularly I guess (in addition to normal post brew cleaning). lol

Latest posts

Back