S30 keg top change

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randalicous

Reaction score
Hello.

I have a plastic keg and i have read they can struggle to hold gas. If I brew 5 gallons into the this keg and after 2 weeks of 2nd fermentation, the lager comes out flat, can I put a S30 valve cap with co2 bullet on to force carbonate 2 weeks in. Or will opening up the seal it has now and replacing it cause damage beyond repair to the brew.

Thanks

Steve.

yes u can as long as you put co2 in ,it will give a layer in keg to protect it from the air in it if your careful i would (after using some gas ) open the tap and draw a pint or 2 then add more gas so as to help rid brew of air (its not the greatest idea to do all this but if you have to you have to (i have done this and all was fine ) btw i assume your not fermenting brew in keg are you ? kegs are used after brew is fermented not during (i take it you meant conditioning ) :D

Yes to both. Conditioning in an economy keg with bottom tap. I have drawn a little out and although it flows out well, which is rather different to the glug glug it made when I flushed it through with water to sanitize at the start, I had a taste and it was very flat. Not sure if this will improve or not, its been in there for 9 days.

I filled up one bottle from there when I transferred it to see if it was any different and this bottle is rock hard, which suggests to me it has some decent levels of CO2 in it, but I intend to leave this until Monday, so it has a full two weeks conditioning at the least.

Thanks

Steve.

Right.

So I got the bulbs and followed the instructions. I have replaced the cap and put the bulb in. Turned it until the hiss starter. But im a bit confused as thats where the instructions end. Do I leave the bulb attached to the top or take it off? Will all the co2 have gone in or does it shut off when it knows there is enough in the keg and then slowly dispense more as and when the beer comes out.

It has good initial signs as the beer practically streamed out the tap after the air went it.

Thanks

Steve.

DPS.

Did you find the CO2 bulb added fizz to the lager, or did it just aid the pressure of dispensing the lager. Does it take some time to filter through all 5 gallons or did you find it pretty quick. Questions questions, but it does help me to understand what everything does.

Thanks

Steve.

You are not going to force carbonate with just one bulb. But hopefully you will have sealed the cap properly, so that the yeast can prime it for you. These are notoriously bad at sealing properly so you just have to be careful.

bobsbeer said:
These are notoriously bad at sealing properly so you just have to be careful.

Hence the sticky European lager overflowing out of the tray its sitting on, and soaking the living room carpet from my KingKeg which I filled yesterday :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

:(

Latest posts

Back