Sad day ...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use loose pellets too with no problem.

Did you still have lots of hops in suspension? I don't use a filter but keep stick away from the bottom until the end with no trouble.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yes, they were in suspension , I tried the filter bottom and middle but seemed to clog literally after 2nds.

I’m more gutted this morning I think now .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you stand the fv on a concrete floor the night before bottling, most of the hop debris drops to the bottom. I have 3 or 4 of those little bags that come with the Festival kits. I tie one over the end of my syphon tube and this seems to collect most of the rest of the debris so that I only have a thin layer of sediment at the bottom of each bottle once conditioned.

I have employed my wife for this very reason. While I check that everything is OK at the FV end, she has been given the responsibility of holding the muslin bag over the end of the syphon tube to the barrel - on one of my brews, the bag slipped off and all of the hop debris went into the PB. I find it difficult to do both at the same time. It only takes 5/10 minutes but she still manages to moan about it. Shame she's not a beer drinker - she doesn't get to appreciate the rewards of her 'labour'. Unlike me.

I'm worried now as I dumped a handful of hops into a brew without a bag. Might rack it off when I'm home from work through a bag as suggested. I also have no idea why I didn't use a hop bag.

I bought one of these a while ago but never bothered using it. I always cold crash for 3-4 days and have no issues with hop particles going into the bottling bucket, I normally use pellets. My beer is crystal clear out the bottles.
It's just an easy to sanitise alternative to a hop sock.

Do you bottle the beer while it's still very cold or do you let it warm up to carbonation temperature first?

Sorted mine without a problem. Most of the fresh hops were floating still but racked from just under the serface through a bag, ready for bottling tomorrow.

The other question I’m thinking .... is dry hop with pellets or fresh ?
What’s easier to deal with ?

The other question I’m thinking .... is dry hop with pellets or fresh ?
What’s easier to deal with ?

Fresh ones I used fluffed out and floated on the top. Pellets I've used in the past sink to the bottom

Do you bottle the beer while it's still very cold or do you let it warm up to carbonation temperature first?

I bottle cold. I pour the boiling sugar/water mix into bottling bucket then transfer the cold beer onto this and give a very gentle stir. Ill normally leave this for max 30 mins while I get everything else ready then bottle.

Hi all,
the lads have touch on cold crashing...without my hops socks I went for pellet straight in the FV (SS brewbucket)
the conical helps greatly tbh! and being able to filter over the trub is the best thing I have.
but I don't think I manage loose hops in the white placca FV...no matter how much I fanny on we the filtering..too much agro.
Bri

Hi all,
the lads have touch on cold crashing...without my hops socks I went for pellet straight in the FV (SS brewbucket)
the conical helps greatly tbh! and being able to filter over the trub is the best thing I have.
but I don't think I manage loose hops in the white placca FV...no matter how much I fanny on we the filtering..too much agro.
Bri

Yup, I should have mentioned I use the SS brewbuckets too, maybe that does help alot (has been a while since I used the plastic ones).

Yup, I should have mentioned I use the SS brewbuckets too, maybe that does help alot (has been a while since I used the plastic ones).

just so happens....I thought "s***e we it!" 24l of cream Ale dry hopped without a hop sock...
least I can practice the syphon n filtering...in a placca FV.
now..were not alone.
Manderina Bavaria smells lush...
maybe I'm a knob! (been here loads of times with no hops socks escapades....ive got misslin bag, and one of then filters that @Leon103 told me to get..
so far ok....even one handed operation can get good results with a autosyphon.
Bri

Hops arrived today.
Going for the same recipe today in the sun...
this time with a hop sock for dry hop in a few weeks.

Back