Safale-23 or Brewferm Lager yeast for Boh Pilsner?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitoog

Reaction score
I am doing a Bohemian Pilsner soon and not sure what yeast to use. Some people say they get a fruity taste from s-23, well Denny seems to have gone on many forums to highlight this. I cannot find too much info for Breferm Lager yeast only that it finishes clean :) . I have a fridge in the garage with an ATC-800+ so temp control should be no problem. I plan to pitch yeast at 7C and raise to 10C over a few days, keep at that until fermentation is complete. I will lager then for a month hopefully. What do you guys think of Safale-23?

I like S-23 . . . I prefer W34/70 . . . but both finish clean . . . provided you pitch at the fermenting temperature and you pitch enough yeast. . . Pitch warm to reduce the amount of yeast required and it will get funky.

By pitch enough you are looking at 150g per hectalitre pitching at 12-14C . . . and 300g/HL pitching below 10C

S-23 is a big sulphur producer though.

Don't know anything about the brewferm lager yeast

Cheers for that Aleman. Will probably go ahead and use the S-23 and pitch 2 packs for a 25L batch. I made an ale yesterday with plenty of saaz hops, so should get a good idea what the hop is like.

Back