Sam Smith's Old Brewery Bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fletch

Reaction score
Doing this recipe tomorrow. I found it on Beersmith:
3.56kg Marris Otter
0.36 kg Crystal malt
Mash at 67C for 80 minutes
Mash out at 77C
27.2g Fuggles start of boil
27.2g EKG Start of boil
90 minute boil
Wyeast West Yorks Ale yeast

The recipe says 'remove 3L of us hopped wort and reduce over high heat to 300ml.' Can anyone tell me what the purpose of that is? What effect does that have on the finished brew.

Cheers guys.

Doing this recipe tomorrow. I found it on Beersmith:
3.56kg Marris Otter
0.36 kg Crystal malt
Mash at 67C for 80 minutes
Mash out at 77C
27.2g Fuggles start of boil
27.2g EKG Start of boil
90 minute boil
Wyeast West Yorks Ale yeast

The recipe says 'remove 3L of us hopped wort and reduce over high heat to 300ml.' Can anyone tell me what the purpose of that is? What effect does that have on the finished brew.

Cheers guys.

It caramelises the wort, and provides a richer malt flavour, apparently.

I would never make a bitter with only hops at the start of the boil myself, I always add hops near or at the end of the boil too. Bung some EKG in late on.

Thanks for the advice. What would you suggest as a hopping schedule then? So far, I've simply been following recipes until I gain enough knowledge to experiment, so your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for the advice. What would you suggest as a hopping schedule then? So far, I've simply been following recipes until I gain enough knowledge to experiment, so your advice would be appreciated.

This Old Brewery Bitter recipe is from Norm on Jimsbeerkit, a reliable source:

25 litre batch OG 1037 ABV 4% 27 EBU

MARIS OTTER PALE MALT 3550 gms
CRYSTAL MALT 354 gms

HOPS boil time 90 minutes
FUGGLES 26 gms
GOLDINGS 27 gms

Anyone who has sampled Old Brewery will know the predominant taste is of TOFFEE.Sam Smiths says this comes from the yeast.To replicate this in homebrewing I use a technique I picked up in ZYMURGY magazine.Take 2 pints of UNHOPPED wort from your boiler and heat in a saucepan on the stove,It must be boiled vigorously on a high heat, STIR CONTINUOUSLY to avoid burning, within about 15 minutes the wort will start to thicken to a syrupy consitency and the desired caramel flavours should be apparent add this syrup to the main batch of wort in your boiler.

If the toffee thing is what you are really after, forget a late hop addition. If you want a bit of hop flavour, add about 15g of EKG about 5 mins before the end of the boil.

Thanks Clibit. I do like hoppy beers so I'll go for the late hop addition if I have enough EKG in stock. The explanation regarding the caramelising of the wort makes sense. I'll post my tasting notes when it's ready to drink. Thanks again.

Back