Bit brave with my own recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sciuk

Reaction score
Just got into all grain brewing after a very successful time extract brewing (belly shows it) for around a year.
I have done alot of reading around, looking into what goes with what etc. And I decided to start with my own creation.
It's got a lovely brown colour almost like a Newcastle Brown colour
Any guys or gals think these ratios and grains are ok, recipe as follows

3.4 Kg Marris Otter Pale Malt 68%
600g Munich Malt 12%
300g Flaked Barley 6%
500g Light crystal malt 10%
200g dark crystal Malt 4%
5kg Grain Bill

O.G. 1.052

Mangrove liberty bell M36

Mash Temp 67c
Single infusion
Boil Time 60Mins
Pre Boil: 27 Litres
Post Boil 21-22 Litres
Strike Temp 72°C

Hops

21g 60 mins Target Alpha Acid 11%
21g 60 mins Kent Alpha Acid 5%
21g 30 mins Fuggle Alpha Acid 5%
15g 10 mins Cascade Alpha Acid 7%..

Is it showing around 70 IBU's if so that seems quite bitter for most tastes and I would throttle back on the crystal unless you like quite sweet bitters/ales.
Do not forget every person will have their own thoughts on what they like so there is not a 100% definitive answer

I don’t think there’s anything particularly wrong with the recipe so I would say if you’re excited by it, try it.

I would personally drop the 500g light crystal and increase the MO by the same amount, as it is the beer might be a bit sweet. I’d also move the Fuggles to 10 mins to keep bitterness in check and enjoy more of the lovely Fuggles flavour

Ps just a after thought using Target hops as just a bittering addition is common practice but I like Target as a Flavour hop used later in the boil a lot of older English ales/bitters us this hop and not just for bittering so as Hazelwood says if you are excited with trying your first own recipe go for it it will give you a feel of how a beer recipe works athumb..

Is it showing around 70 IBU's if so that seems quite bitter for most tastes and I would throttle back on the crystal unless you like quite sweet bitters/ales.
Do not forget every person will have their own thoughts on what they like so there is not a 100% definitive answer
Ya this was my thought boil time was shy of 60 mins maybe 55. And I calculated 60 plus IBU. I do like sweet beers but I do like alot of bitterness and thought that the balance could work well.. if it doesn't well I'll still drink it .. ;). On a mission to find the holy grail but I doubt u ever find it while brewing

Ya this was my thought boil time was shy of 60 mins maybe 55. And I calculated 60 plus IBU. I do like sweet beers but I do like alot of bitterness and thought that the balance could work well.. if it doesn't well I'll still drink it .. ;). On a mission to find the holy grail but I doubt u ever find it while brewing

Sounds like your recipe is well matched to your taste - go for it!

For my thoughts I would add another 400g of MO,half both the crystal malts,keep the target for bittering,Kent at 30,Fuggles to 10 and drop the cascade as it may blanket the Kent and fuggles leaving a nice ESB around 4.7%.

I wouldn't have thought of Cascade with the other hops, though cascade does work quite well with M36.

It all depends what kind of beer you're shooting for. Like the other guys I say drop the light crystal. Leave the fuggles and target where they are, drop the cascade and move the EKG to 10 mins.

Agree with what others have said, I'd be tempted to dial back on the crystal a bit (I like sweet beers!) and move your 60 min hops to 30, and your 30 to 10 mins.
Should give a more sensible ibu score

70 ibu is a mega bitter in your face ipa smackeroony

Thanks for your input guys .

The beer has turned out very drinkable.
Bitterness could definitely be knocked down a tad bit though, lesson learned . can definitely pick up a fruity aroma from the cascade .
Not overly sweet for my tastes however would of been better dialing it down a little..

Only got 8 bottles left ;)

Only got 8 bottles left
Now 6, I'll bet.

For the taste you describe, keep it as it is except scrap the MO and go 50% Chevallier and 50% Plumage Archer. That'll sweeten the whole thing up and make it richer without it being sugary and it'll soak up some of the bitterness of the hops without taking out the flavour.

Latest posts

Back