sanitary wort chilling hop stand/flame out/knock out

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old_git

Reaction score
Just been searching for this info on the internet and on this site but so far have been unable to find it. Hopefully some of the brewers here can assist.

When using a wort chiller in the brew kettle, we stick it in before flame out to sterilise the copper (and thus the wort). Usually 15 mins is more than enough. After flame out, the tap goes on and wort chilling commences.

At some point after this (temperature and individual preference specific) late hop additions are added to steep in the hot/warm wort. My question is this: how is one to place a lid on the brew kettle with hose/copper pipe sticking out of the top to achieve sanitation during this period?

I can only think of using cling film as best as possible to cover the gaps but there will be substantial condensation build up where air transfer is highest (I.e. least insulated - around the gaps in the lid)

Leaving the top of the brew kettle open would be fine during regular chilling, as chilling takes around 10/15 mins and as temperature drops the risk of bacterial contaminants also reduces. A hop stand increases this risk substantially.

Another thing I thought of which may be mentioned is removing the wort chiller during the hop stand. This is not a good option as it was already sanitised and removing it at a cooler temperature reveals the sweet wort-covered copper for all the bacteria to feast on. The only way this method may work is to have a second boiling hot large pot to hand to dunk tyethe chiller in while hop stand is taking place. This method is not ideal economically as it presumes paying for another large pot, boiling the water and therefore the cost of the heat to maintain it!

Any thoughts or experience on this issue are welcome.

Many thanks and happy brewing all,

Og

Thanks for your thoughts on this beercat - I know you have plenty of experience in this area.

So sterilising the wort chiller isn't so important then - just around flameout temperature is enough to sanitise it.

Do you just leave the wort chiller in the pot during an aroma steep?

Just to make it clear, I did not ask about sanitising the copper before cooling the wort. Here's what I asked.

"My question is this: how is one to place a lid on the brew kettle with hose/copper pipe sticking out of the top to achieve sanitation during this period?"

During this period = during hopstand.

Hops will be steeping in wort for 45-60 minutes. During this time, the wort is open to infection by bacteria at temperatures within the range of the steep. This is why sealing the lid of the boiler is desirable.

Just to make it clear, I did not ask about sanitising the copper before cooling the wort. Here's what I asked.

"My question is this: how is one to place a lid on the brew kettle with hose/copper pipe sticking out of the top to achieve sanitation during this period?"

I just put the lid on over the pipes, which leaves a small gap, and wrap up with towels etc to hold the temp whilst steeeping. I steep at 65C which I think is still hot enough to pasteurise.

Thanks Dan.

I was erring on the side of caution as I have read that it is that temperature between the boil and pitching that has the greatest risk of infection.

If 65C will keep the bugs out, then all should be fine as you suggested.

Will give this a shot on my next brew.

Thanks again for sharing how you do it - I have discovered that a method for sanitary steeping is not widely discussed in most places I have looked.

Cheers, :thumb:

Og

@dan125 is right. As long as the wort is above 65C then you have nothing to worry about as you are above pasteurisation temp. Even at lower temperatures it shouldn't be much of a problem; there is no overlap between the list of bacteria which ruin beer and the list of common airborne bacteria, so unless you are somewhere particularly dusty, windy or dirty, your chance of getting airborne infection is negligible.

Thanks Dan.

I was erring on the side of caution as I have read that it is that temperature between the boil and pitching that has the greatest risk of infection.

Og

That's right - once its below pasteurisation temps, but as long as you're sensible the risk is pretty low I believe.
Its important to take enough time to get the wort properly down to pitching temp, which at this time of year can be quite a while.
I get it down to about 25C with the immersion chiler, remove the chiller, let it sit a while to let the trub settle out, then get it in the FV and into the brew fridge to reduce the last few degrees C

Back