Sediment left in FV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I re-use yeast routinely.

My house, now over-run with wife and daughters, is always too warm to use English yeast so I routinely re-use US 05. You make a brew with the dried yeast pack and save up the empty 250ml Lemonade bottles, adding a good squirt of Star San.

Come racking or bottling day, two weeks in, leave a good amount of beer in the FV - say a litre plus trub. Then swirl it around and drop it into the bottles.

This whole thing has to be done very carefully and everything sterilised to within an inch of its existence. It does work, though and the yeast keeps well under the green beer for 2 or even 3 months in the fridge and does not need a starter.

If you ask - is it worth the effort for the cost of a new pack of yeast?

My answer is - it's my hobby and I like messing around with it to see what works.

BTW, I would only re-use slurry yeast like this for one "generation", even though multiple times. To my thinking, there is much less risk in reusing a slurry for 6 daughter brews than for 6 generations of brews.

i remember reading that breweries keep re-using the same yeast and that some have be re-using the same strain for hundreds of years - think how many generations that would be!

i remember reading that breweries keep re-using the same yeast and that some have be re-using the same strain for hundreds of years - think how many generations that would be!

It would be very many generations indeed. But breweries create the ideal environment for yeast and homebrewers can only approximate this. :thumb:

It would be very many generations indeed. But breweries create the ideal environment for yeast and homebrewers can only approximate this. :thumb:

so it can be done! i know atleast 1 guy on here works at a brewery so maybe we will learn more from someone on here....

If you want to reuse yeast more than 5-6 times its best to collect it from the top 2-3 days into fermentation this is when its at its most healthy. I have never done it but am sure I read this is the best way and you can reuse it like this indefinitely.

Latest posts

Back