Sediment left in FV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slayer

Reaction score
Ok, a newbie question!

After I've syphoned off my beer into my barrel there is a load of sediment/gunk left in the FV.

The questions are:
Is it reusable yeast?
What is the best thing to do with it?

Is it reusable yeast?
Yes but its not in the best condition.
Flush it down the toilet.
Hopefully someone can give some advise on how you could reuse it but its generally not worth the risk when dried yeast isn't expensive.

What about putting on the compost heap?
A serious question as I am a keen gardener and like to recycle as much as possible.

I put my trub on the compost heap. Good idea to use it for slug traps, will give that a go too.

Ok, a newbie question!

After I've syphoned off my beer into my barrel there is a load of sediment/gunk left in the FV.

The questions are:
Is it reusable yeast?

yes it is re-useable yeast but im not the member to inform you properly as i havent bother too yet

but i did read about collecting it and chilling it in a steralised sealable container eg a jam or mayonnaise jar - which i was going to do before i realised that the lid to said mayonnaise jar had gone walking in the short time since i had cleaned it :doh::nono:

You can indeed reuse the yeast. Simply swirl the remaining sediment in the bottom of the fv, pour about a pint into a sanitised mason jar or bottle and stick it in the fridge. If you use it within a couple if weeks just chuck it into the wort. If longer than that then just make a starter with it.

Some pitch their wort straight onto the used yeast. I have done it myself when a new brew has coincided with the racking or bottling of the previous one. I only do it with similar styles of beer, e.g 2 pales or bitters (I read a thread somewhere which said as much). The beer has always turned out fine.
I can't be bothered with saving it in the fridge, I tried it once and never trusted it enough to use it.
Thing is, if you're only using dried yeast; is it worth the risk to save a couple of quid?

Ok, a newbie question!

The questions are:
Is it reusable yeast?

I re-use yeast routinely.

My house, now over-run with wife and daughters, is always too warm to use English yeast so I routinely re-use US 05. You make a brew with the dried yeast pack and save up the empty 250ml Lemonade bottles, adding a good squirt of Star San.

Come racking or bottling day, two weeks in, leave a good amount of beer in the FV - say a litre plus trub. Then swirl it around and drop it into the bottles.

This whole thing has to be done very carefully and everything sterilised to within an inch of its existence. It does work, though and the yeast keeps well under the green beer for 2 or even 3 months in the fridge and does not need a starter.

If you ask - is it worth the effort for the cost of a new pack of yeast?

My answer is - it's my hobby and I like messing around with it to see what works.

BTW, I would only re-use slurry yeast like this for one "generation", even though multiple times. To my thinking, there is much less risk in reusing a slurry for 6 daughter brews than for 6 generations of brews.

I re-use yeast routinely.

My house, now over-run with wife and daughters, is always too warm to use English yeast so I routinely re-use US 05. You make a brew with the dried yeast pack and save up the empty 250ml Lemonade bottles, adding a good squirt of Star San.

Come racking or bottling day, two weeks in, leave a good amount of beer in the FV - say a litre plus trub. Then swirl it around and drop it into the bottles.

This whole thing has to be done very carefully and everything sterilised to within an inch of its existence. It does work, though and the yeast keeps well under the green beer for 2 or even 3 months in the fridge and does not need a starter.

If you ask - is it worth the effort for the cost of a new pack of yeast?

My answer is - it's my hobby and I like messing around with it to see what works.

BTW, I would only re-use slurry yeast like this for one "generation", even though multiple times. To my thinking, there is much less risk in reusing a slurry for 6 daughter brews than for 6 generations of brews.

I have just recently saved a bunch of yeast, actually US-05 aswell as MJ workhorse and Wyeast 1056, I am a little confused as to how to use it and how to figure out how much I have ? What do you do when it comes to this? Just pitch the whole lot ?

I have just recently saved a bunch of yeast, actually US-05 aswell as MJ workhorse and Wyeast 1056, I am a little confused as to how to use it and how to figure out how much I have ? What do you do when it comes to this? Just pitch the whole lot ?

Save it in small bottles with a screw cap lid and use around 10-15% of the trub from the previous brew. That is fine for pitching.

I think some brewers pitch onto the whole "cake" of yeast, but I have never done this.

Some pitch their wort straight onto the used yeast. I have done it myself when a new brew has coincided with the racking or bottling of the previous one. I only do it with similar styles of beer, e.g 2 pales or bitters (I read a thread somewhere which said as much). The beer has always turned out fine.

+1 for this. It's fine to pitch beer of a similar style or darker (e.g. pale ale to porter, but not the other way around). I've had great success with this and it saves some money. However, I've also read that you should remove half the yeast cake as using all of it will result in overpitching..

I've also washed yeast and put it in the fridge for several weeks. A 24 hour starter was sufficient for re-pitching it. Here are some links:

http://homebrewacademy.com/yeast-washing/
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPYUFJ4bPD4[/ame]

:drunk:

The trub that is left contains a lot of viable yeast, all you have to do is rinse it. You just need 2 x 2Li glass jars.....Free yeast for your next brew.

Even simpler, you don't have to rinse it, just use it as is or make a starter with it.

Even simpler, you don't have to rinse it, just use it as is or make a starter with it.

I agree, it will keep better if you store it under beer than it would under water, Only downside is that you use some beer up to do so.

Latest posts

Back