Selling for Charity?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RNVET

Reaction score
Has anybody ever sold their brews for a charitable cause? I've contacted a couple of the kit makers and await a reply but what about something brewed from scratch?
Cheers

I think that would be entering into a whole world of taxation and write off fun - you might be better off speaking to someone from HMRC about that

I think if you sell any beer then your set up becomes a brewery for hmrc purposes, not 100% sure but there's a thread by drayman somewhere that goes into in depth! may be worth looking for.

Having been on the HMRC website I think it would take longer to read all the information than brew a batch so I've sent them an email.
There was a section on the donation of alcohol that sort of explained things. I'll just wait and see what they have to say.

sounds like a seriously gray area..... be very wary as the tax man has no qualms about hauling you into court if they feel like it, leaving you at the very least with a seriously hefty legal bill - I've thought along similar lines in the past and decided it simply wasn't worth the hassle - plus I only really brew for myself anyway - who's to say the style of beer I'm brewing would be enjoyed by anyone else, let alone someone winning a prize in a charity raffle or something and then wondering what the hell they'd won.....

I agree with the others - selling homebrew for any reason or even using it as a prize in a raffle where tickets have been sold is a poor idea.

You could register as a charity, but any way you look at it you would have a raft of paperwork to fill in.

Health & Safety and Food Standards too.

What happens if your batch, or the odd bottle, is off?

It's a nice thought, but I suspect it's not a viable option, unfortunately.

what about giving it away for free, but making it clear that a charity donation would be welcome for each beer taken?

Although it's probably not "legal", I think you'd be very unlucky to be pulled up for something as small time as this. When there's tax dodgers all over the shop, would they really do someone for giving away a few beers for a good cause? Maybe, so I wouldn't advise doing it, but it wouldn't stop me.

I don't think you can even give it away, it has to be for consumption by yourself and friends, you can use some as a 'test batch' for a new recipe or technique but again it's fraught with danger.

Well maybe you're not meant to, but it's hardly crime of the century to give away a few bottles for charity. If you got gripped for it, I think you'd be extremely unlucky.

Jesus, they don't muck about do they? Community service at the very least... You might as well just drink the beer and go and do some charity outreach work!

haha that'd be pathetic enough to make it in the papers... "local man donates home made ale to charity and receives £2500 fine and 40 hours community service"

I'm sure i've chucked 200 cigs in my suitcase in the past and that would likely be a much more severe offense.

It would appear that HMRC are the least of the problems. A friend that is on the local PTA told me today that councils are warning schools not to sell homemade cakes at their Fetes due to the risk of prosecution????
I think that really puts the "Death Nail" in!!!!!!! Especially as it was going to be for the local kids football team!
Oh well, more for me I suppose :-)

That's terrible. Compensation culture gone mad!

I'd love to share my creations with people other than myself but it seems like big brother had other ideas...

JamesMcS, your lucky day may well come in the summer with the Summer Swap. I've done 2 swaps and recieived 2 good beers in exchange for 2 of mine, which seemed well received. You could, of course, arrange a private swap with a forum member if they post comments about something you like the sound of. The only problem is the cost of postage, which is a good few quid.

Postage versus duty is nothing really - I would love to share some of my success stories, but at the moment it's all kit for me - still getting the hang of home brewing, but I intend to start BIAB as soon as financially possible, then I'll hopefully have something to be proud of :-D

Latest posts

Back