Shodan Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dam you have some memory, that was i think my second all grain brew and i drained it. I'm not sure what i did wrong but it was foul. I might try again some day although i think i'd rather do a Leffe clone now :roll: Anybody got a recipe :D

BrewStew said:
let us know if you get cauliflower or not :thumb:

methinks i'll be switching to 90 min boils in future :cool:
Can't call it cauliflower yet,
DSC00132.jpg

But it's looking good 8 hours after pitching the yeast :D

Btw it's Nottingham lifted from the yeast cake of my countdown brew from last week :)

A T said:
Cauliflower is the balls of floating yeast after fermenting that most of us believe is caused by protofloc like this
Ah my mistake :oops:
I thought BrewStew was referring to a cauliflower yeast head :wha:

I have had that happen to me once in the past when using whirlfloc.
Guess I'd better wait and see what happens :hmm:

But if I get a huge cauliflower head of yeast I'm gonna post a pic of it cos I think they look awesome :grin: yet slightly scary :evil: :lol:

I take my Shodan (black belt) Iaido grading examination next weekend, if I pass :pray: I want to give a lot of this beer away as a thank you to the guys who have helped me up to this point.
So it's going to be bottled and I wanted suitable labels.
Here are my first attempts,
Front
shodan_lable.jpg

Back
shodan_back.jpg

Any comments or suggestions?

Black belt :shock: :shock: I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize now in advance in case if i ever **** you off :lol: :lol:

Labels look great mate ;)

Fermentation over :D
No sign of cauliflower :D
Just the usual ring of trub,
DSC00140.jpg

Dry hopping with a few cones of First Gold.
I will be adding gelatine finings tomorrow as I want this in the bottle asap :)
Perhaps I aught to amend my labels to read "not suitable for vegetarians" :lol:

tubby_shaw said:
I will be adding gelatine finings tomorrow as I want this in the bottle asap :)
Hi TS, I was just wondering, do you add your finings to the FV, or to the bottle/keg?
I'm asking as I can't get my AG#6 to clear, all my others have cleared with no probs, but this last one just won't budge.
So for my next brew I might add some Kwik clear to the FV when it's finished fermenting.
Also, if I did this, i'm presuming it wouldn't take the yeast out of suspension, so i'd be able to prime with no probs?
Ta :thumb:

I add my finings to the FV.
The Kwik clear will take the yeast out of suspension but don't worry you can add half a pack of rehydrated yeast back into the brew before you bottle or keg :thumb:

tubby_shaw said:
I add my finings to the FV.
The Kwik clear will take the yeast out of suspension but don't worry you can add half a pack of rehydrated yeast back into the brew before you bottle or keg :thumb:
Cheers mate, will do. :D

I passed my grading today :party:
I am now Shodan, Zen Nihon Kendo Renmei Iaido, Muso Jikiden Eishin-ryu :D
Which is a bloody miracle as I picked up an injury which meant that I had to change the way I have been practising my Iai over the last two years :shock:
So I really hope that this beer turns out to be a belter as it's going to be gifts :pray:

Back