Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
steve_flack said:
mysterio said:
Bookmarked the celebration clone recipe, cheers.

That's at least £20-30 quid of hops in that recipe though... could just buy a case from Beers of Europe for that...
True but you'd get 40L of beer from those hops. A case of 12 bottles would be £23 but only have 4L.
And you could also reuse them in a different lighter beer as well

Wez said:
Ok I think I've settled for this:

Target OG 1.060
Target IBU 46

Marris Otter 81%
Munich 15%
Light Crystal 4%

Chinook (fwh) to ~40 IBU
Cascade 15 mins to ~6 IBU
50g Cascade in at 80c for cooling
Cascade for dry hopping

What do you think?

I'll do a 50L brewlength 25L to keg and 25L to bottle.
For 50L You may want to up the 50g of cascade at 80C.
Personally I reckon either go with lager malt and use munich or use MO with less Munich (or none).
For dry hopping the to be kegged one i'll put some cascade in the keg for 3 or 4 days
For dry hopping the to be bottled version i'll add some cascade to the FV 3 or 4 days prior to bottling

Does this sound a good idea? What sort of Qtys would people reccomend for dry hopping?
You could dry hop both at the same time in the FV - it's what I do.

You may want to lengthen the dry hop time to a week or two. Are you using pellets or whole? It depends on the freshness but I've had good results with 30g of Columbus pellets in this sort of brewlength of an APA. OTOH I used 50g of Centennial in 40L of a US IPA recently and having tasted it it needs probably double.... :shock:

Cheers Steve, 100g at 80c?

I'll dry hop both FV's - it seems sensible :thumb: the Cascade that I have are awesome, very fresh and punchy, i'll go with 50g in each FV, i want this beer to scream HOPS!!!!!!

Interesting suggestion on the lager malt, could you explain why you'd do it that way, i've never brewed with lager malt.

I think lager malt is more like American 2-row malt having read descriptions of the malts. MO is a great malt but has a much stronger flavour.

Of course I've never tasted US 2-row malt before it's made into beer but having brewed US style beers with lager malts they seem to come out closer to the commercial ones.

Ah! right, understood :thumb:

I'll see what I can get quality wise with the lager malt otherwise will go MO and drop the Munich %ge :)

steve_flack said:
mysterio said:
Bookmarked the celebration clone recipe, cheers.

That's at least £20-30 quid of hops in that recipe though... could just buy a case from Beers of Europe for that...
True but you'd get 40L of beer from those hops. A case of 12 bottles would be £23 but only have 4L.

True. I struggle to keep hop character in beer, though, which is exteremly annoying. I'm worried i'll waste my money on £30 of hops and not be able to enjoy any of it. Obviously SN bottle condition their beers which may account for why they still smell fresh by the time they get here. I suppose dry hopping in the keg is the next step.

Agree with Steve about the lager/munich point, hence why i said reduce the amount if you're using MO.

Latest posts

Back