Simpson Brown Malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a bag of it the last time I ordered some stuff, have been using Crisp's so far.
It is a bit darker than ones made by Crisp, Fawcett, Bairds etc(~450 ebc vs ~140-200 ebc).
Anyone used it, how does it compare to other brown malt?
I've never knowingly bought it, but that's a pretty significant colour difference isn't It? It is pretty much half way between amber and chocolate malt in terms of EBC. Simpson's describe it thus...

"Our Brown Malt imparts a rich coffee aroma ideal for Stouts and Porters. It delivers a smooth mouthfeel as well as increasing foam stability. The hue is a deep mahogany that brings warmth and depth to dark beers. Often a forgotten malt."

So orthodox use is in dark beers, unsurprisingly. Perhaps it is like a darker roasted coffee, a 4 or 5 on the coffee roast scale, rather than a 2 or 3. There are similarities between roasted malts and roasted coffee beans I think.

I figured I'll give it a try.
Fuller's, during Keeling at least, used Simpsons malt if I remember correctly.
And if London Porter is brewed with their brown it should give a rather nutty, roasted coffee flavour, wich IMO are the most easily discernible flavours of their porter...

Latest posts

Back