Slovenian Aurora Wolf Pale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryedale_Brassage

Reaction score
Last Thursday (28th Jan) I decided to use 2 of the hop types that I got in the recent give away. I thought that the Aurora and Wolf seemed to be a good combination to start with. As my biggest pot is one of the Buckingham "15" litre (actually about 12 litres) I decided to do a 5 l batch.

The recipe I used was:-
1.15 Kg Pale Malt
0.15 Kg Munich
10 g Styrian Aurora Hops (60 mins)
10 g Styrian Wolf Hops (5 mins)
Irish Moss (15 mins) - small teaspoon
Yeast - 25 ml of trub from IPA that I had bottled the day before. This had used US-05 yeast. I used the Mrmalty calc to get to this amount.

Method:
I initially treated 7 l of water with half a crushed campden tablet to de-chlorinate etc.

I heated 3 l to 75 C and then added my grain in a muslin bag. I gave this a good stir and then checked the temperature which was 65 C. The pot was covered with a couple of towels and an old camping mat and left for half an hour.

I checked the temp and it had dropped to 60 C (I usually use towels and a sleeping bag which keeps the temperature better - I will remember to get the sleeping bag out of the loft for next time!). I put the pot back on the cooker and brought the temp up to 68 C. I re-covered and left for another half an hour.

I heated the remaining 4 l of water to 80 C. The mashed wort was poured into a fv with the grain bag sitting on a sieve over the top of the fv to let it drain into the fv.

The grain bag was then put into the pot of water at 80 C and left for about 10 mins. I then stirred and put it in the sieve over the fv to drain. I squeezed the grain bag to get a decent amount of liquid out. In total I had 6 l of pre-boil wort.

The wort was added back to the pot and this was put on the cooker to bring to the boil.

Boil time was for 70 mins. I had used this in the previous IPA recipe that I had got from Greg Hughes - Home Brew Beer so thought I would stick with this.

10 g of Aurora hops were added at 60 mins, Irish moss was added at 15 mins and 10 g of Wolf hops were added at 5 mins. Unfortunately I had a bit of a cold, so did not get much of anything distinctive from the hops. They smelt hoppy but that was it. Hopefully I will get the actual flavours when they have brewed!

I put the pot in the sink part full with cold water to cool. I changed the water 3 times, and it took about 30 mins to cool down to 20 C.

I then poured everything through a muslin bag sitting in the sieve, into a fv, to stop the hops and other solids going into my demi-john.

I checked the gravity which showed as 1.054. I was happy with this so poured the cooled liquid into a demi-john.

I had earlier calculated how much of my trub from the previous brew to use, so I added the 25ml into the demi-john and gave it a good shake to aerate it.

I fitted an air-lock and put the demi-john, covered with a towel and a camping mat, into my usual brewing corner. This had started bubbling away nicely by the next morning.

Note that all equipment that I used was thoroughly cleaned and everything that was used post boil (apart from the muslin bag which I boiled in water for 15 mins) also had the benefit of a good dose of diluted starsan.

I am looking forward to trying this as the description of the hops should give a nice tropical taste to the beer. I will update the thread as the brew progresses.

This is how it looks when I bottled it, really pleased with the colour and the clarity.

Aurora_Wolf_Pale_Ale_Bottling_Stage.jpg

It has a nice citrus kick to it. I can imagine this will be really nice chilled in the summer. Now just need to leave it to carbonate and condition, but first impressions are that this is not going to last long! Final gravity was 1.012, so that is about 5.6% ABV if including the priming sugar.

Last edited:
Aurora_Wolf_Pale_Ale.jpg

Had a try of this last night, it is very drinkable!! It is a very smooth beer which I presume partly comes from the Munich Malt. There is an initial fruity (slightly tropical) taste which then develops with some floral notes. This is quite subtle and not in your face or overpowering. My wife tried it and she got melon then kiwi fruit before the floral notes kicked in (her palate is obviously more refined than mine!!).

It was only bottled 3 weeks ago but it is already a very nice drink. This will not last long and it is one that I will have to make again (and in larger quantities).

I am really impressed with this combination of hops, and I am looking forward to trying out the rest of them.

Latest posts

Back