Smart meter [poll]

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have a meter?

• Yes and our bills are much lower

• Yes and our bills are slightly lower.

• Yes and we have not noticed any saving.

• No but i would like one.

• No i have no interest.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I dont have a smart meter and for us I cant see the point. A few years ago I was getting pestered weekly by energy companies to get one. In the end I told the caller I had one! Never got a nuisance call again. RESULT

Customers could get £100 for cutting energy use Customers could get £100 for cutting energy use

I’m interested to see how the conspiracy theorists will see this as a negative.
I'll give it a go wink...

So you get a small amount back to reduce the electric you use which is already overpriced and stacked against you and that is a win? - the power companies would prefer you to use less and charge you more for that as less effort required on their part. Is this a conspiracy or capitalism in action? It's surely the same as with money. your savings rate say is 3% the rate to borrow is 5% - who gets the 2% difference? 🤔

It's the same with power.

I’ll turn the tele and phone charger off for £100, and take back what I said in Post 135
will that reduce your usage by 10% which is generally what is required? - with reqards to smart meter display units does the actual meter STILL work whilst your display to help you save energy crash/stop working? - if so the company can still have the advantages whilst you have none.

Last edited:
will that reduce your usage by 10% which is generally what is required? - with reqards to smart meter display units does the actual meter STILL work whilst your display to help you save energy crash/stop working? - if so the company can still have the advantages whilst you have none.
A smart meter is different to a smart monitor.

The monitor will show you how much energy is being used at any one time. Never used one, its not going to change how I use things.

A smart meter is connected to your normal meter, through a sim sends data to your provider so they can track usage, usually at 15 minute intervals. I have one saves sending readings and I get loads of nice charts on the app. You need one to be part of the savings.

Please note that having a meter and a company part of the scheme doesn't mean you will save money. Some are opt in and others are select customers only. Plus not every company is passing on tjr money. Just as I explained in the other thread, Shell Enegy are holding a raffle draw if you meet the criteria. ****

Never used one, its not going to change how I use things.
I thought the same but you can't help but look at it every time you pass it and see your current power consumption (if set to display that), it's honestly a very useful tool to get a handle on what's going on in your house, electricaly speaking.

It updates about every 5-10s or so. If I go into the kitchen it night, turn on the lights (and inevitably look at the display), I see it jump up by the 80w or so, telling me that although I have LED lights in the kitchen I have far too many and should get rid of some, it's like standing on the surface of the bleedin sun in our kitchen.

I'm not the only one in our household to notice the little nagging orange or, heaven forbid red light, on it either, the other half and even the boy notice so it's impact is evident.

Would you believe the tumble drier has started to be used during cheap out of hours rates, without me even asking!

according to eon app, since the 8th of December we have used £190-15p of gas and leccy so 13 days to go to the 8th of feb, so well under the £300-23 for Dec - Jan i am happy with that and we are over £600-00 in credit, just to add this doe's not include standing charge or vat

Someone at my work reckons they reduced leccy consumption by 30%. Used a gadget you plug into socket then plug in device to get a feel for what was using the juice. They also replaced kitchen lights with LEDs so we're going for it

If I go into the kitchen it night, turn on the lights (and inevitably look at the display), I see it jump up by the 80w or so, telling me that although I have LED lights in the kitchen I have far too many

Do you really need a meter to tell you that?

I’m being continually pestered by my energy provider to have a smart meter installed, but I have no wish to do so. I’d rather submit readings on a regular basis and rely on the old style meters I currently have in the house.
Are smart meters unreliable? The meter is the same, a part was added to my existing one.

I thought the same but you can't help but look at it every time you pass it and see your current power consumption (if set to display that), it's honestly a very useful tool to get a handle on what's going on in your house, electricaly speaking.

It updates about every 5-10s or so. If I go into the kitchen it night, turn on the lights (and inevitably look at the display), I see it jump up by the 80w or so, telling me that although I have LED lights in the kitchen I have far too many and should get rid of some, it's like standing on the surface of the bleedin sun in our kitchen.

I'm not the only one in our household to notice the little nagging orange or, heaven forbid red light, on it either, the other half and even the boy notice so it's impact is evident.

Would you believe the tumble drier has started to be used during cheap out of hours rates, without me even asking!
We already use the minimum, my son rather sit in the dark than put a light on. Saying that I feel your pain on LED lights, we have 33 in thr kitchen and that doesn't include the ones in the cooker hood and under counter lights. And don't get me started on the ones in the hall, my wife calls it the run way. Luckily we don't have to put them all on at once

We already use the minimum, my son rather sit in the dark than put a light on. Saying that I feel your pain on LED lights, we have 33 in thr kitchen and that doesn't include the ones in the cooker hood and under counter lights. And don't get me started on the ones in the hall, my wife calls it the run way. Luckily we don't have to put them all on at once
How big is your kitchen to need 33 lights??

Well 14 Months on and my smart meter is still off line,( canr connect to internet) not had a bill, BG say they are aware of this and looking into this . I don't know how much am using

You need a home automation system. No lights in my house are on if they needn’t be 😉

Just turn them off when not in use. No need to power a sensor then
People I live with turn lights off? That’s not going to happen.

The HA is Controlled by a Raspberry Pi. It consumes 0.25w so costs around 76p a year to run.

C3459F29-44AA-4163-8011-CC844990E8C3.jpeg

To control the lights in the house, the system uses the same wireless sensors that my intruder alarm uses to sense room occupation. I can set each room to turn stuff off if no movement dected for X amount of time. Each sensor takes 2 x AA rechargeable batteries. When they run out they are charged using a charger connected to a smart switch which the HA system only turns on when my solar panels are generating more than the house is using and our electricity is free.

A2DFAC08-924E-40FC-9D1E-C11A41129694.jpeg

It’s cost me more to reply to your message than to power my sensors 😉

Back