smells a bit funny

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripster

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did a Wilco cervesa brew 2 weeks ago sanatized everything apart from the fv :doh:( total lack of concentration). Anyway I went to bottle It today and I noticed there was some nasty looking lumps floating on top (sorry no pics) smells a bit funny but taste ok but I decided to bottle It anyway (can't abide waste). My question Is will It cause any problems ie: bottle bombs'

Thanks Pete

Well I don't think I need to tell you that sanitising the fv is quite important. However you might get away with it. Smell isn't always a good indication, some fermentations throw off all sorts of funky smells. Likewise stuff floating on top, it's normal to have yeast, hop bits, proteins and various other stuff on top, as long as it's not mould or pellicle.
Most serious infections are detectable within a couple of weeks so if it tastes fine now then you may be ok.

When you say it smells funny, is it sulphur? That can be quite normal. Also bits floating on top can be quite normal, they're normally clumps of yeast that haven't flocculated.
If you can wait to bottle I'd leave it in the fv for a while longer and keep checking the fg, if it stays within the range you expected I'd say you've got away with it.
You can always lager it for a while before bottling, then you can keep an eye on the gravity.

I did this kit a few weeks ago mine tastes like vomit, neighbour says that's the tequila taste but mine is getting poured down sink. It was fermenting when we had the Hot weather dunno if the temp got too high?

I did this kit a few weeks ago mine tastes like vomit, neighbour says that's the tequila taste but mine is getting poured down sink. It was fermenting when we had the Hot weather dunno if the temp got too high?

Sounds like butyric acid caused by bacterial infection, in which case it's a drain job I'm afraid.

Hi RedDarren
The smell Is very very sweet as soon as I took the fv lid of it stunk the shed out even my other half said whats that stench. Knowing that I didn't sanatise the fv and seeing some lumps floating on top sent me into a bit of a panic, anyway iv'e decided to bottle it and hope for the best I wont be drinking It ,It's for a family BBQ and my other halfs sons are always up for a free drink so I'll let them have It. Thanks for the input

Cheers Pete

Hi RedDarren
The smell Is very very sweet as soon as I took the fv lid of it stunk the shed out even my other half said whats that stench. Knowing that I didn't sanatise the fv and seeing some lumps floating on top sent me into a bit of a panic, anyway iv'e decided to bottle it and hope for the best I wont be drinking It ,It's for a family BBQ and my other halfs sons are always up for a free drink so I'll let them have It. Thanks for the input

Cheers Pete

Ok cool, I might have left it a bit longer in the fv as an infection can continue to attenuate, in other words if the fg doesn't move in an extra week you may not have an infection. If it is infected and it continues to attenute (munch the sugar) you could end up with bottle bombs.
Another sign is an orange hue, not always the case but an orangey colour in the beer can be a clue.

Hi Strangesteve & TheRedDarren, This Is an update of my mistake (not sanatising the fv). The lager Is nice and clear and taste fine a bit sweet for my liking but hey ho, seems I was lucky this time and got away with It. One more thing out of the 35 bottles 1 refuses to clear and looks like It's still fermenting I took the cap of to release the pressure and recapped It again hopefully I've uploaded a pic so you can see what I mean I,m a bit intrigued as to how it only happend to 1 bottle. Anyway thanks to both of you for the advice and input most appreciated

Cheers Pete

20160807_172139[1].jpg

Back