Snub Nose Fermenter.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, some lucky person is going to win a Snubby, of all the Fermentasaurus family this is my favourite, small, compact and versatile, also fits easily into a smaller fridge. The other feature I like is the ability to fit a tap, I have tried pressure fermenting and decided that as its the British ales I am constantly brewing pressure is not for me. Even with the tap I could carbonate the ales using the spunding valve and add a serving pressure of 10 PSI and serve straight out of secondary, through the liquid post and a picnic or Pluto tap, or at atm and gravity pour.

001.JPG
002.JPG

Notice the bottom of the cone is thicker and the circle is where to drill to fit the tap, one could fit a miniature ball valve or the cheap plastic tap which can be just discarded after a year or so.
Transferring without pressure is easy with the tap and almost oxygen free, (even with purging there will still be a pocket of oxygen, tap or no tap) I transfer tap to tap after purging the secondary, if there is no dry hopping I don't bother with secondary.
004.JPG

Yeast can still be harvested simply by adding pre boiled water (obviously not while still hot) to the compact yeast bed giving it a good swirl and pouring into a yeast collection jar.
These are great little units, but it isn't just a matter of emptying the kettle into the fermenter, adding the yeast and winding up the pressure. Pressure has an adverse effect on yeast, as does the CO2 dissolving into the wort, so reading up on pressure fermenting is well worth while. The young lady who started it all for the home brewers, (though not so young now) is worth reading.
https://terifahrendorf.com/Closed-Pressurized-Fermenatation.pdf
Take into consideration the pros and cons of pressure fermentation. Pressurized Fermentation | Spike Brewing.
https://www.brewshop.co.nz/blog/fermenting-under-pressure.
Not fitting a tap is fine but don't make a PET fermenter redundant after two or so years, fit a tap and keep enjoying the PET fermenter, good money well spent. (if you are unlucky not to winwink...)

Bought my snub nose a few weeks ago, and it's been a fantastic purchase. Fermented an IPA under pressure, then cold crashed & hooked up to a 10psi line & used it for pressure dispensing. Superb piece of kit.

Latest posts

Back